Ratty McRatterson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been debating whether or not to make this a build off bike but figured wth. Should be fun to join in.

For this build I'm concentrating on my two favorite rules for the rrbo...keepin it cheap and ratty. This isn't gonna be an overly complex build just a simple rat with a little flash here and there.

Here's the bike I'm starting with. A three dollar roller I got at an auction last summer. I really love the patina on this frame and have been looking forward to doing something with it:

rat.jpg

starting to tear it down:

rat2.jpg

Here's where it is basically sitting right now. The bike was stripped of all parts and everything that rotates was serviced before rebuild. I got the wheels from ind-chuckz and the sprocket from a varsity.

rat3.jpg

I'm still waiting for some parts but I should have a rider soon. Once all the basics are out of the way I can start the fun stuff.

Got this bike into running condition and went up to Stl to visit my girl and test out the configuration. It rides so nice but, as I expected, the gearing is too low and I'd like another inch or so of rise on the handlebars. I'm liking the simple look of it and have nixed some of my planned additions (still a few things in the works tho).

Here's how it looks now...got some parts in today so changes coming.

grants%20trail1.jpg

grants%20trail2.jpg

I had some time to work on this yesterday and decided to start putting the rack together. I've always liked the look of wood rear racks and thought it would be appropriate for this build.

Here is what I started with:

rack1.jpg

Almost have the parts cut and fitted:

rack2.jpg

This box is going to hold a battery and possibly some tools depending on how I handle the lighting (with a led I can use smaller batteries)...it's from an old flashlight:

rack3.jpg

Here's the rack pretty much finished. Not my best piece of wood work, next one will be better, but I'm happy with it. The dowel on the left is for a different component on the bike:

rack4.jpg

Now to mount it...

got some more stuff done...

Here's the rack mocked up with the supports. I used some copper tubing and flattned/bent the ends to make the mounts. To be honest I'm not sure about putting the rack on this bike. It's starting to look more like a rat cruiser than a rat rod...I need something to hold the battery box so I might build a different rack that is much shorter and would be more appropriate:

rack6.jpg

On the brighter side of things, my seat came in and is mounted. I think it matches the bike perfectly:
seat1.jpg

A few other updates. I'm adding a second speed via a front derailleur. It's not as clean as a 3 spd or as versatile as a rear derailleur...but I don't have the funds for major changes, plus it'll be something different. Chain tensioner is en route:

Shimano Thunderbird GTO front derailleur and I cleaned up and mounted the chainring:

deraileur1.jpg

Shifter...still needs to be cleaned up and mounted:
deraileur2.jpg

I built the shifter out of a schwinn stem shifter and its mounted to a cable guide...i'm still fine tuning it, but so far so good:
deraileur3.jpg

deraileur4.jpg

Latest posts

Back