Ross Apollo Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a cool vintage store by me and I was in there the other day doing a little christmas shopping (this store is mainly vintage clothing, jewelry, and accesories) and right as I walked in, there is a white Ross Apollo Racer single speed sitting on a little credenza right as I walked in. I immediately stopped and looked at it. It's in beautiful shape, looks to be all original including the cool chunky banana seat, and is all in really great condition. The price tag was for $270 bucks and I silently took a big gulp, yikes! I went and asked the young girl at the counter about it and she told me that it had been there ever since she'd been working there which was quite awhile. I have no idea how to gauge the value of this bike nor the age (judging by a few pics that I've seen on line of one from 1973 the graphics are much simpler so I assume it's an earlier year, maybe from the 60's?), but was just curious if anyone here knew how much something like that would be worth. It's a great funky bike and would be cool to have in the collection, and would definitely love to pay alot less than $270, but if I'm crazy for thinking that, I want to know! OR if it's a super deal, maybe I need to save up a little and grab it at some point. Any ideas?

I've seen them go for $200 and more on Fleabay, but then I've seen them go much less also. I think it depends on the year and model... I think the Racer is a single speed coaster. They also made a 3 speed and a 5 speed. Check auction number 260192119553 on the 'bay... it seems like a nice bike, and at $125, it got no bids.

Then again, I rescued this one from the junk pile in the back room of my LBS for $20 minus the wheels...

apollo01.jpg

apollo02.jpg

If you want to see a few nice ones, check the New England Musclebikes Museum site:

http://www.nemusclebikes.com/picoverview

--rick

You have the advantage! Decide on what you are willing to pay for it.. 50..75.. 100.. whatever it is go in there when the girl is there and offer her 20 or 30 less than your limit.. Since it's been there like forever I'm sure the owner would rather sell it than keep it. If and when they deny your first offer, then you up it to your limit. Good luck and let us know..

Back