Sanding tires to make slicks. Now with 26x4 FATBIKE SLICK video!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I originally posted this first part in my build thread for the 120 Tooth MiniVelo and added it to @OneHorsePower's excellent original tire sanding thread, (http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-slick-tires.64914/) but I figured rather than keep adding to his thread I would do a new one here with the Fatbike slick update.

Original post:

Decided to finally try 1HP's DIY Slick trick, however I did it slightly differently for two reasons:
Point 1, I am lazy.
Point 2, I am cheap!

So here is my method and some theory's regarding the best tires to use for making slicks.

Instead of using a belt sander (I don't have one and did not want to buy one. (see point 2.)) I used an old 5" angle grinder fitted with a flexible plastic sanding pad and 100grit sanding disc.

12316229723_943330bc1f_z.jpg

Instead of using a fork clamped in a vice, I just flipped a bike upside down and used it as the stand. (See point 1.)

12299068143_154f6f6c45_z.jpg

First tire up was a slightly used and left in the sun for a year cheap semi slick, here it is half done:

12316555404_a15b0e56aa_z.jpg

Result was good, nice and fairly smooth, however it ended up very light, so I am not sure there is much rubber left over the canvas. Here is a before and after shot:

12316554674_48ca03cfbd_z.jpg

Next up was the second cheap semi slick in the photo above, however this one was barely used but had been sitting in the sun for about 4 years, found it easier to sand, and it ended up smoother than the first one, pretty sure I left more rubber on too.

The third tire was another identical semi slick however this one was brand new, never been fitted to a bike and never been outside, result was rubbish, the rubber flexed sideways when sanding ending up with lumps and bumps and even sand through to the canvas in places, stopped after doing one side:

12316029815_720c55bcd4_z.jpg

Starting to see a pattern here, I looked for the oldest, hardest tire I had that was not cracked, I found a Kenda comp BMX style tire that looks to have been sitting in the sun for the last 10 years, hard rubber, heavy tire. Here it is halfway done:

12316535604_ecf6dfb617_z.jpg

I also discovered a better method for using the angle grinder/sanding pad combination, I would hold the wheel to stop it turning with one hand and sand each knob most of the way down, once they were all evenly down most of the way I would then used the angle/spin method 1HP uses. Here is the finished tire:

12316228513_4cd80a3f8d_z.jpg

Result on this tire was the best, very smooth and even, still plenty of weight in the tire leading me to believe there is plenty of rubber left.

Here is the two tires that I have in mind for the MiniVelo Racer, the 2nd semislick for the front and the Kenda for the rear:

12316510154_29ec2bfdf3_z.jpg

Here is what I looked like after sanding them down:

12316535174_8a9a58c8ff_z.jpg

Here is what the forks and rim looked like:

12316130265_6380be68ec_z.jpg

As bad as that looks, it hoses off easily and leaves little to no residue, the clothing is a different story, I recommend a long plastic raincoat for future attempts...

FINDINGS:

My reason for picking the two tires I did is that turned out the best and seemed to retain the most weight, they also happen to be the oldest and hardest of the tires I did, I don't think that is a coincidence, I think the rubber knobs flex less as they are sanded and allow you to achieve a better result.

I also recommend finding the heaviest tires you have in your stock, these are most likely to have a thicker rubber layer left when you are finished.

-New update is a video update, using a Walmart Beast 26x4 tire to make a cool Thick(er) Slick:

2017-02-16 17.53.35.jpg

Luke.

Back