Sarah's Kid Bike Build Off project (?????)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
March 2nd Intro

My 5 year old daughter Sarah and I got out three 16" bikes to consider possible base models for the Kid Bike Build Off. I want to build her a basic rat rod bike with clean simple looks. Nothing too fancy or too hard for her to ride.

1) A 16" red Schwinn Mini Scrambler that i bought at a thrift store for $10 about 4 years ago. It was my son's bike for 2 years before I moved him up to a red Schwinn Stingray Junior. He use to call it Lightning and I haven't the foggiest clue as to why. Maybe something from a cartoon.

2) A 16" red cantilever Ross bike with banana seat that I got for free from a chicken coup full of bikes about 6 years ago. Always thought I would do something with it, but never did. It has sat in the yard pile of bikes under my back deck the last 2 years. Lots of stickers on this bike and no original bike name to be found.

3) A 16" 2nd generation blue/silver Schwinn Pixie from the early 80s that I got for free at a flea market in an old tobacco warehouse in Wilson, NC that was scheduled for bulldozer the next month. This bike was just a frame and fork in very sad shape. I did put a banana seat on it and some 16" Schwinn S7 rims at one time, but none of my kids rode it.

I want to dig around the shop more to see what other parts are laying around before deciding on a direction and posting our first pics. Stay crisp...

Russell & Sarah

The red car's name in the movie "Cars" was Lightning McQueen.

So that may be where he came up with the name of Lightning since it was a red bike.

Sounds like any of the bunch would be good build off candidates.

RatRodDad said:

So that may be where he came up with the name of Lightning since it was a red bike.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He must have gotten it from "Cars". Great little movie by the way if anyone hasn't watched it yet. I have some pics of each bike in the ole digital camera. I just have to quit cruising the internet for bike parts after dinner long enough to hook it up to the computer to download them. My wife's going to love the beautiful bike box I forgot to tell her about that's arriving today. Sorry honey! I promise it's the last bike I'll buy.... this week. :mrgreen:

RatRodDad said:

me and my DAD are in love with the disney/pixar movies
he LOVES the incredibles

Quote:
My wife's going to love the beautiful bike box I forgot to tell her about that's arriving today. Sorry honey! I promise it's the last bike I'll buy.... this week. :mrgreen:[/quote]

...I shipped it in the same box you shipped mine in...just tell her it got returned :D :D :D

March 11th Update:

Finally downloaded the pictures of the three 16" tire bikes I'm considering. At this point I'm leaning toward using the Schwinn Pixie frame and the wheels off the Ross bike. If I use the 16x1.75 rims instead of the 16x1-3/4 Schwinn rims I'll have better luck finding cheap tires for this project. I have some decent blackwalls already in the workshop and found some 16" colored bmx style tires online, but I kinda like the idea of whitewalls on this bike. Even better would be vintage looking cream colored or red cruiser style 16" tires. I think I've only seen those in the 26x2.125 size, but if you know of any in 16" size let me know. :mrgreen:

Mini Scrambler
MiniScrambler.jpg

Ross Banana Seat
Ross.jpg

Schwinn Pixie
Pixie.jpg

only ones that i have ever seen in 16" are blackwalls,whitewalls and the knobby all white(bmx style)
i havent been able to find any bricks or cream in 20" even :roll:

Can't be too many options for 16" tires, but can you imagine how worse it's got to be for 12" tires. :shock:

I'm loving the seat on that ross!

Latest posts

Back