Schwark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I've decided to throw an entry into the build off. I've been a RBer since before it was called that having been piecing together bikes from the pile of parts that we had around our house about 1967 thereabouts, although I've been getting back into it the last couple years after tooling around on modern store-bought bikes the last 30 years.

My bike is a pretty straight forward build with no fancy modifications like a lot that I've seen. I've got a lot of ideas here as well as tons of good info and I got a lot of bikes so If I can get a little 100 wire-feed welder one of these days I might be able to put something out there a little more unique.

Anyhoo, I picked up a 1951 Schwinn Straight Bar Frame on Ebay. I originally paid $102.50 including shipping but when I got it it wasn't straight. After hashing it out a little with the seller he refunded $45.00 so after Paypal took a piece of that I ended up paying around $60 for it. After inquiring here about fame straightening techniques I was directed to Sheldon Brown's (RIP) site and was able to get it squared away pretty good. I cut one side of the kickstand loose as it had been rewelded at some point and I had to manipulate the back part of the frame one side at a time to get it all squared away. I got a friend at a local Sheet Metal Shop who welded it back up for me last Wednesday so I was able to mock it up prior to painting.

I used a wire wheel on my industrial grinder and sandpaper on the frame. Bought a set of old Drop-Center Rims from a guy I met through Craigslist, the rear laced to a New Departure Model D and the front to a Schwinn Script. Bought a repop Monark Front Fork off Ebay. Chainguard...Ebay. I ordered some Fat Witewall tires from Amazon but I swiped some off an old Murray for the mock build. I wanna get a seat with some big springs and I'm leaning towards buying a Brooks B135 (I know we're supposed to be building cheap but I want this to be nice and unless they put an actual dollar amount that can't be exceeded I think each builder has to use his/her own judgement. Looking ahead I can see this bike running about 400 bucks or more. Is that too much? Anyway I just hope y'all like it when it's done.

Now I'll attempt to post some pics of the build so far.

I didn't take any pics of the components before the mock up. There will most likely be some of these parts replaced before completion.

Ok then...time to tear it down and hope to get it all finished in time! Happy Trails!! :)
Code:

My Pics aren't seeming to work. Any tips from you experienced folks?

87871951-Schwinn-Straight-Bar-Frame---Before-001.jpg

Thanks for trying Deorman but I still couldn't figure it out. I've tried no less than 6 Image hosting sites and finally after about 3 hours I found another Image Hosting Site In Great Britain and was able to get the pics up in Thumbnails.

I really like how it looks at this stage and hopefully everything will arrive in time and go smoothly enough to finish it.

Back