Schwinn serial number mystery

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Here's the deal (some of you might have read this in my 53 phantom thread in the "fresh find" section. It's a BF Goodrich branded schwinn black phantom with the serial number on the left dropout of H0796. I swear I'm not missing a number and the numbers don't match up with the charts that I'm looking at. H places it in 53 but the number confuses me. Any insight?

CRAP!!!!! :oops: There is another 0 at the end of that. Was covered up by a brace and didn't see it til now.... I'm still confused at it starting with a zero though...

I think they have a typo on the serial number chart for 1953. It starts with H60001 and goes backward to H16956. It shouldn't go down in sequence, so I think it should read H00001, making yours made between Jan 12-14th, 1953.

That would make sense. I was wondering why the numbers went backwards. I'm kind of new into this bike craze thing, and unfortunately I'm a slow learner.....lol. Thanks guy!

Back