Slowrider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this horrible mtb frame for free the other day
tried to make a rear wheel steer, this angered me so i got the saw out and decided to "lower" it
it went from this:
2m6khlh.jpg

yuk ugly mass produced poop

to this, with about 10 mins thought and an hour with the hacksaw, the same with the file and sandpaper to de-paint
jagnbl.jpg

its slightly less clean and nice looking than if i used the 'adapt' method but with this frame the top tubes of the triangle are a different size to the bottom.

i also made a special chain from 9! offcuts of different chains
16h20r8.jpg

all of the bits are 1/8th and surpisingly all the mismatched joins are free, had to do the old wrongway bend technique and jam the screwdriver in to widen it.

SLOW rider is because i am gearing it for walking pace, so i can talk and ride when mum is walking the dog

Sam

going to weld it up in bout 1/2 hour,
lets see what a mess i can make.

fingers crossed, not to good with a mig yet

i trust my welds with my ...... i think :?

well i got her welded and this is it almost rideable
i say almost rideable, gotta watch the pedals on the turns
e71fz8.jpg

heres a close'ish up of the rear triangle
you can see a bit of the special chain as well
j5l2tz.jpg

all it needs now is a rear brake and a bit o paint

suggestions on the colour are welcome

that might become a theme with me, what with the shopper chopper

ive ran outta room so unfortunately paint is a must cos she's gunna live outside :shock:

im curious as to a few things. what size wheel are you running in the rear? 24 or 26? and did you just heat up the bottom of the rear stays and bend them upwards? or what did you do that you had to grind on the rear stays? you could get some shorty cranks for it, unless it has a small BB, then you would have more room to pedal. id get some smoother tires and flip some bars and boardtrack that baby! i really like the look of it! very simple yet awesome change man!
8) 8)

Easy E

26" rims all round
i had nothing to heat the rear stays so i cut a little wedge out of each of the rear stays, being real careful so i didnt cut all the way through
i then filled the holes up with weld, like built up the edges
its got a euro bb, so its a small one, but i kinda like the long crank look.

i'd reccomend having a go if you get a horible frame, i think the "adapt" method is probably stronger though

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11614&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

boardtrack is an idea and id like some smooth tires, i have one in the shed, could put a 27" racer wheel in the front

:) Looks great! Me and my lads are going to pinch a little insperation from your ideas and put them into an old diamond frame we have laid around over the next few weeks :) Did you [I.O.W.] get snow today? saw it forcast....bet that was a shock lol!

on the snowy day we had a shower, it didnt settle
i was up in winchester that day and they had about an inch on the ground
what aws it like in durham?

Back