Solid Inner Tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was tearing down and old wheel that had this solid inner tube thing in it. I've never encountered one of these before. I don't know how long these have been around but I suspect this was pretty old. Finally ended up taking a saw to it to get the tire off.

tubeless.jpg

I have seen them new. Walmart sells them here. I don't know if it's hollow in the center like this one.
I thought they were something relatively new but this seemed to be pretty old. Was sure a bear trying to get off (before I got out the saw :lol: )

They were around in the 70s for motorcycles, mostly used in enduros, hare scrambles and desert racing with very little good reviews. They were pretty heavy and hard to keep in balance. Probably a few motocrossers ran them, but not for long. I would think that they were also available for bikes around that time and probably sucked even more! The ones I saw were for motorcycles and they were solid, but they also made the style you got.

They have been around since the 70s. the problem with them besides weight is that they dont absorb bumps and you wind up having bent wheels and as you found out randy, they are extremly hard to get off to change a tire. You can still get certian sizes. I just ordered some for a customer to put on her sons wheelchair.

I had those on the back of my trike before I started tearing it down. Worked great for that application, but holy cow they were hard to remove, and not quite the easiest thing to put on either. A chunk of it worked great for whoopin the kids with though, till the wife wooped me with it! lol

heres alittle tip(not sure if itd work for these but probably...........)
heat gun to soften them up ......theyll become more pliable and easier to remove(did it with my sons pixies original tires(hard rubber).......if you dont have access to a heat gun then a hair drier or boiling water will work also

hahaha..... I have cut tires off before out of frustration.

there are newer versions of the tubeless/solid tire. Stan's NoTube is one of them.

Back