Springer fork bolt snapped

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There must be dozens of springer designs, and hundreds if not thousands of bolt sizes/styles/grades. It sure would be nice to know which ones you have.

7C38A82A-B0D0-4A4D-B5B9-774AF638EED4.jpeg

Attachments

• 161C70B9-C35C-4446-B32F-40B07CFFA718.jpeg
    161C70B9-C35C-4446-B32F-40B07CFFA718.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Do you mean the bolt that compresses the spring? If so, then remove the bolt and measure the pieces. My best estimation would be 3/8" x 5" coarse thread. If someone knows better, please chime in!

A quick query of Lowes' web page reveals that fasteners in that general size and shape routinely sell for less than $2.00. I'm sure Home Depot, Ace, Tractor Supply, and others are comparable. I don't believe there anything particularly unique about that bolt.

To raise my springer on Chrome Molly, I used a 6" long 3/8ths bolt and it threaded right into the collar. Then I used a plastic grommet to take up the extra space. I used a longer bolt on Orange Crusher also, but added an extra spring and made it wider.
I now have a few bolts leftover that will work with the springer as it came new, 4 3/4" long.

It's the same bolt as the pivot bolt on the springer.

You can take the old one with you, and take the collar it threads into to be sure you have the right threads when you get a new bolt.

bolts.jpg

springers.jpg

I noticed a couple washers on your bolt where the rubber grommet slides on. I don't think they are supposed to be there. Take them off and see if the bolt has enough threads to thread into the collar, unless the bolt is broken. It may just have not had enough threads in the collar. The bolt should be 4 3/4" long.
springer bolt.jpg

Back