State Bicycle Co 4130 SS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a road or touring bike. Doesn’t seem to fit anywhere else though. I’d been looking at different SS bike options. Finally seized on the chromoly frame idea. Decided the State Bicycle Company 4130 SS’s would foot the bill. No regrets so far.
IMG_4477.jpeg
IMG_4483.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_4499.jpeg
IMG_4506.jpeg
IMG_4508.jpeg

Quality seems good I did upgrade the pedals and flipped the stem over. I did a shakedown which included concrete, asphalt, dirt, mild gravel, all of which included a variety of roughness. It’s going to get some use. I like the color and simplicity along with the solid feel.

Last edited:
Not really a road or touring bike. Doesn’t seem to fit anywhere else though. I’d been looking at different SS bike options. Finally seized on the chromoly frame idea. Decided the State Bicycle Company 4130 SS’s would foot the bill. No regrets so far. View attachment 246461View attachment 246462
View attachment 246463
View attachment 246464View attachment 246465View attachment 246466
Quality seems good I did upgrade the pedals and flipped the stem over. I did a shakedown which included concrete, asphalt, dirt, mild gravel, all of which included a variety of roughness. It’s going to get some use. I like the color and simplicity along with the solid feel.
Good choice 👍

I pulled a Brooks saddle off another bike, thought the Apple Green color warranted a new home.
IMG_4526.jpeg
IMG_4525.jpeg

IMG_4535.jpeg
IMG_4536.jpeg
IMG_4538.jpeg
IMG_4539.jpeg
IMG_4540.jpeg
IMG_4541.jpeg
IMG_4542.jpeg

Picked up a little road dust so far.

70’s kind of morning with slight breeze at the lake.
IMG_4547.jpeg
IMG_4548.jpeg
IMG_4549.jpeg
IMG_4550.jpeg

First flat, found a glass shard in tire. Haven’t had to repair a tube for quite awhile the glue was dried up in my patch kit. Remembered that I had some Slime patches, they did the trick. While I had the rear wheel off I changed out the 16T freewheel with an 18T. With a test ride I think that’s a good solution for my old body, instantly noticed the difference.
The old bikes are cool but the ride from this one is real. Easy on the legs.
IMG_4535.jpeg

I changed out the tires with a pair of Vittoria Terreno Zero 700cx38’s. Actually smoother ride than factory stock set. Rated pavement or gravel.
IMG_4821.jpeg
IMG_4820.jpeg

I’ve played around with custom front suspension on a couple of bikes. I ran across several types of handlebar shock dampening systems from pricey to budget in researching Kinekt shocks, I have a fork type on an older Dahon bike. There were quite a few design options on eBay.
I found these “Meroca” stems on eBay at a range of prices. I finally pulled the trigger on one which shipped from China. It took a while to get here but arrived in time for my birthday. I installed it today on my State 4130 SS, first test ride told me the blue spring installed was too soft. I went for the next red one up, it comes with 4 different tensions.
The red one feels better. Might go up to next one for comparison. They look somewhat bulky and are similar to the seatpost spring shocks.
It’s different, I tend to think outside the box so I think it’s keeper. At 50$ I might even get another one.
IMG_4856.jpeg

IMG_4857.jpeg
IMG_4860.jpeg
IMG_4862.jpeg
IMG_4863.jpeg

These spring stems might even work nice on Klunker or BMX bike.
I tried the green spring and went back to the red for a little more spring reaction.

Last edited:
IMG_4868.jpeg

Well a little more experimentation, I got a pair of Supergravel TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) Presta valve tubes for the 4130 SS. They are advertised to provide better puncture resistance, better air retention and are said to last twice as long as traditional butyl rubber tubes. We’ll see, maybe they’ll outlast me.
IMG_4877.jpeg

Last edited:
Back