That's Mr Elgin to you.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Here are some photos of a gender change i did Saturday night on a ladies Elgin frame. Went through a couple of design ideas. I used a torch and conduit bender to shape the chromolly tubing. I used a 4" grinder to make a birdsmouth at the end of each tube for a good fit. Tried to carry the curve of the seat stays into the new top tubes as best i could. Overall pretty happy with the outcome.
DSCN0347-1.jpg

bye bye down tube.
DSCN0348-1.jpg

one idea
DSCN0351-1.jpg

another idea
DSCN0352.jpg

another idea
DSCN0354.jpg

The winner
DSCN0353.jpg

cut and bent tubes
DSCN0386.jpg

one down, one to go
DSCN0387.jpg

both welded in
DSCN0389.jpg

After a little grinding
DSCN0391.jpg

Very nice, if it weren't for the curved downtube looks almost like a mid-30s Hawthorne Zep, from a mid-late 30s Elgin possibly ladies Oriole you started with.

Thanks for all the posative remarks. I did this project in trade for some other stuff. I had no need for the frame and there is not much demand so onto the chopping block!

It did feel good to break out the welder again and get creative. I had initially laid the frame on bigger piece of paper so i could get the drop outs level, then i could get the top tubes level to match and could better visualize how the bike would look on its wheels. It also made is easier to share the conceptual ideas via e-mail.

Wife thinks i'm nuts, and she is the artist, go figure?

Back