the Collegiate Dropout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since I made the Schwinn Hollywood with the great patina I been thinking I better make myself one and what better than the most rattiest campus green collegiate I have ever seen
P41250003.jpg

P41520001.jpg

I added vintage s-7s and westwind 26x 1 3/4 tires a few other different parts from other bikes so this is the nerdbike that flunked out!
P4210004.jpg

P4210005.jpg

P4210007.jpg

Notice the headbadge upside down lol
P4210006.jpg

it rides and all is needed is a cleaning and for the #&#$%@ SEATPOST to loosen up

Hmmmm, I think I know where those wheels came from *cough* - holly - *cough* :mrgreen:

It does wear those S-7's very well - I like it. Not sure about the turned up bars though, maybe something a little more board tracker? Sweet bike nonetheless.

You have given me an idea Hooch, I may have to go digging throught the junk pile tonight.

-Mp

BTW - do you still have the rusty black Stingray for sale?

Good thinkin on the wheel/tires. The bigger tires look more betta on the the lightweight frames. I did that with a Breeze and it gives it a much better look and ride.

Rat Rod said:
Awesome!

I own it's nerdy brother..ha ha!

Aren't those the wheels that you're sellin' on ebay? :wink:
yep they are on ebay but I doubt if they sell and if they do I have a set of regular 26" wheels and will buy26x1.75 tires :) I think 26 x 2.125 tires would fit too but it would be tight

Multipass said:
Hmmmm, I think I know where those wheels came from *cough* - holly - *cough* :mrgreen:

It does wear those S-7's very well - I like it. Not sure about the turned up bars though, maybe something a little more board tracker? Sweet bike nonetheless.

You have given me an idea Hooch, I may have to go digging throught the junk pile tonight.

-Mp

BTW - do you still have the rusty black Stingray for sale?
black stingray is sold but I have a 1962 schwinn american frame minus fork its a 20" basically a shorty early stingray. it would be the bike frame that kids in california added polo seats to then schwinn took it from there
and yea i am not sure about the bars I dont want board track bars cause I am a big guy and want to cruise on this so I might go with straight mountain bike type bars. I have to go pick up a dozen bikes tommorrow so we will see what that pile has to lend to this project :)

were those whitewalls on the original rims? If they are 26" and in decent shape, I could definitley take them off your hands. I have been looking for some whitewalls to fit those .... scwhinn tubular rims for a long time.

Switched up some with some MTB straight bars and rattrap pedals and an old school reflector mirror still have a stuck seat post but I will win yet!
its raining out and I don't want to melt so pics in the basement it is

P4240004.jpg

P4240006.jpg

I am changing my old collegiate one more time lol
I picked up a specialized girls atb bike and I am putting the nice fancy alloy rims and 6 speed on it with axle scewers and 26x 1.95 ties
hopefully they will fit this might be a cool conversion for these old middlewieghts

On that seat post, Sheldon Brown's site sez stick the seat post in a vise and then try twisting the frame.

I say slip off the crank, use a 24" piece of 3/8 thread rod a couple nuts and washers and slide it through the seatpost to the bottom bracket the tighten the nut on the threaded rod until you get a little movement from the post, then it'll probably be loose enough to twist out with some visegrips.

added some stuff
it isnt cleaned up yet because it was a test flight
but now its a 6 speed
I want to use the original fork yet but I have to find a good brake for it the only one I have is pretty chintzy

P5050015.jpg

P5050016.jpg

P5050017.jpg

I have no clue where I m headed with this lol
my ultimate goal is to have a great comfortable rider with a bunch of odd ball parts as it is now its a 68 schwinn collegiate with wheels and fork off a Specialized womens mountain bike , 26 x2.125 tires and handle bars off a hercules city bike and shifter , derailer and levers from another mountain bike

I think some fat white walls would look cool....and maybe a nice leather seat.

It sure would make for a cool fixie.

I think I liked it with the white rims....but having gears would be nice.

Back