The Flying Penguin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 1960 something Shelby Hiawatha at a rummage sale for $35 because I wanted a cruiser and didn't want to drop $500 on a new one. This Shelby looked like a good candidate for a rat rod, so in the truck it went.
P6190363.jpg

And then I had to get it apart and paint it. I used a wire wheel on my angle grinder to buzz the paint off in about an hour, and then shot it with etching primer (I LOVE that stuff!!!).
P1010001.jpg

T_P1010010.jpg

Next came paint. I wanted to keep the same color theme as the original, so I shot it in Acrylic Enamel from NAPA with a generous dose of hardner (recipe calls for 8:4:1, but I used 8:4:1.75). I also wheeled the chainring and hit it with chrome paint and touched-up SOME of the rust on the rims, but not all of it. Then came the new headset, new seat, new seat post, new bars, new grips, new tubes/tires, new pedals, and mounted a water bottle cage and my Garmin GPS on it. I love the Flying Penguin!!!! I ride this bike everywhere, and it turns heads.
fp4.jpg

FP_after3.jpg

fp_after2.jpg

fp_after1.jpg

Nice build and a good paintjob. I would think It would look better If you shot some kind of a red design on your chainguard. Just my .02 though. Glad your here and we look forward to more of your builds. :lol:

I agree about dressing-up the chain guard -- I plan on having "The Flying Penguin" in red letters with black striping. I have a few projects I need to wrap-up first.

And the penguin came out of a cereal box.

economessed said:
And the penguin came out of a cereal box.
Nice! :mrgreen: I never cease to be inspired by the creative muse that affects people! Good work!!

I was moving a few boxes around tonight and shoved a box of parts from an antique tractor I rebuilt a few years ago. I saw the old pistons there, and said, "HEY -- there is the beginning of a set of killer pedals." So after I mow through my project list, I'll fab-up a set of 1941 Farmall H piston pedals. But before that, I've got a Monarch I want to do, a 3 speed Schwinn fat tire cruiser from the 50's, and a Cannondale SR400 frame I picked-up yesterday for $25. Anyone have any suggestions for a good chemical stripper to remove paint from aluminum frames?

airplane stripper from wallmart and a wire wheel. in the auto section, like $6 a can and you can watch it lift paint.

just dont do what i did and wear flip flips and shorts, short sleeves. i had acid burns all over. luckily its water based.

Back