The Retro Rocket!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I'm officially throwing my hat, er, helmet in the ring with my new project, the Retro Rocket. It's going to be built up on kind of a retro/future theme. The lights will be solar powered, and since everybodu seems to swinging towards fatter tires, I'm going to buck the trend and use skinny ones...26x1 3/8"!
this frame...
project1a.jpg

this fork...
project1b.jpg

and parts from here...
project1c.jpg

project1d.jpg

After much coaxing, cursing and swapping out of bearings, cups etc, I was finally able to make the 1 1/8" fork work in a 1" frame.
project1e.jpg

this is the headlight/solar panel that will be powering up the lights...
project1f.jpg

after selling a bunch of stuff at the swap meet I was able to pick up a girl's Ross 3 speed, which donated it's drivetrain and wheels. Heres a quick mockup so far...
p3.jpg

rough idea of where it's going...
p3m.jpg

Aw crap!! What is that fork off some industrial experiment gone bad. I never seen that before. Awesome. Yeah after starting my bike I noticed the fat back trend also. Great ideas I see headed your way.Have at it. PEACE

Thanks! the fork is an old mountain bike fork that became collectible as soon as I needed parts.

Swap the fork legs side to side. They look funny the stock way, the front wheel needs to be out front. Dean

lookin real good, and i like where its headed. if this was your op, you coulda called it "holy roller" :wink: :D

herr_rudolf said:
Welcome to the build-off!
Yes, these forks seem quite popular this year. I think I'm starting to like em...
popular? :shock: I was hoping for unique. Once again timing is everything... :roll:

What's up with that tiger seat cover? I have been looking for something like that.

Oh, the forks, stem and handlebars all look great together.

lucha_mike said:
What's up with that tiger seat cover? I have been looking for something like that.
It's an old seat I redid with some faux fur from the local sewing store.
PB230410.jpg

I made 2, so if I sell one I'll give you a heads up first. 8)

Bike looks KILLER!......GREAT light, never seen one like that.

Wow! I really like the front fork, stem, handlebar combo.
The Light and speedometer(?) fit right in to the whole package.
I can't believe you got the 1 1/8" fork in a 1" tube.
I'd like to know the details if you don't have to kill me afterwards :lol:

Good Luck with the rest.

Made a bit of progress. Ran the taillight wiring through the frame and hooked up the lights, and did a preliminary bolt together.
p7.jpg

p5.jpg

the big black rectangle on the stem is the solar cell, and it does work! This is the headlight and taillight together in one pic...
p6.jpg

As far as the fitting the fork, it was an old Schwinn set of headset cups. Everything else was just bits and pieces found in the garage. I just got lucky. next will be the tank and the details. 8)

picked up a donor bike from Craig's list. A ton of parts for future projects and these fenders. I orgiinally didn't think fenders for this project, but I think they work 8)
p8.jpg

p9.jpg

next the tank...and the shifter, and the pedals and the paint...

Well there was a long period of inactivity caused by the real world rearing its pointed little head, but I pulled it together and got it finished. Decided to keep it a one speed, and a Schwinn found at a local garage sale donated the fenders. After that it almost put itself together...
pd1.jpg

and just in the nick of time too! 8)
More pics here viewtopic.php?f=60&t=43578

LOOKING GOOD!! SEE YA AT THE FINISHED PAGE!! PEACE

Back