The return of Mr. Goodyear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A no money build :wink: , with completely different parts on the same frame as in the last buildoff. Theme as yet undecided. :|

DSCN0052goodyear3.jpg

No old balloon or early bmx style fork for a bomber, a tapered mtb fork just won't cut it. :|
Board tracker looks cool and all, but if it's not motorized, or a 28-29" bike, I can't ride it like that. :|
Chosen theme/category? :? What else, :) rat rod! 8)
I might end up using the same bar, we'll see how it goes. :?:

feels like i've been here before! (in an iron maiden, bruce dickenson sorta scream) and ya know,
when ya feel deja vu! :)

looking forward to seeing what happens this time around.kinda cool to see some of last years build
off bikes get a second chance at stardom. :)

The tool room is co-operating nicely, handed me some black primer and a can of 2x Rustoleum matte black. :) Definitely an improvement over old Rustoleum, "new" fork is done. :mrgreen: Can of stripper, meant for another now postponed project will do most of the prep work on the frame. Bike dragged home from the shed of my parent's house, selecting and cleaning up some some maybes and a couple definites. Progress photos later this week.

Attitude/altitude adjustment, and a reflector experiment.

DSC_0008.jpg

Almost ready for blackness.

DSC_0009.jpg

While properly cleaning and lubing this wheel for the first time in ages, I decided to use tranny fluid instead of oil on the plates. I guess riding will tell for sure, but it seems to work great. I'd pretty much forgotten how much better these old hubs are. Everything from the thread tolerance in the Bendix, to the forming and material of the bearing cages is like comparing a 17 jewel Hamilton to a dime-store Waltham pocket watch. 8)

I totally agree on the hubs. I rebuilt the cheap Chinese hub on my buildoff bike and it sucks. Might be one of those whiners. I have used tranny fluid for soaking old chains in. Helps clean and lubricate at the same time.

OK, primer stage mock-up. Crank adapter, if you can see it, is going back to the bin for use on a future site-inspired project. 50-50 on putting the chrome crown cap back on, maybe going gloss. plenty of time to decide. I've got some details planned, but they will be post paint. The Wald replacement seat post used last time couldn't handle full extension and adult weight, so it got cut down and moved to "Ol Droppy (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18006), with a fat, large under carriage seat. The Stingray post used here got bent slightly, :x by a shorter 285 lb dude trying to do 90 deg hop turns in my driveway, :roll: a couple of decades ago, but hasn't moved since. 8) Bent my old AS crank, too. :(
DSCN0102.jpg

I don't know if it works if you don't use Firefox, but you should be able to click on the image into a second window, and then again for a good detail view on most (not all) of my pics. Last build was a little blurry, and my parts pics don't have enough pixels. If it works without Mozilla, let me know.

Update: Finally closed the brake mounting hole I made years ago. Stuck with the matte black, and put back the chrome crown cover. During drive-line testing, it sounded like my crank was headed south, but it was my old block pedals eating a ball. Fortunately, I was able to pry them open and fix it. Cleaned and greased after thirty some years of nothing but a few drops of oil when they got wet, hopefully they'll work for a few more seasons, or until I break down and buy some cages. Put the funky mod tires I used for mock-up back in the parts pile, and mounted the 1.75" Kenda's I've been running on my Windwood, which is now wearing the 1.5"'s I used in RRBBO4.Thanks to a sprocket from new member, and fellow serial poster :p Harquahalas, a scavanged longer fork, and a Serfas seat I used to run on my Mongoose, I've managed to achieve what I originally decided upon when I first came upon this site and dragged my old frame out of the closet. Namely, a bare bones, roadie inspired 1-spd path burner, using mostly vintage middleweight and/or ballooner parts. No luggage, no lights, no lock, no cables, no bell, not so much as a kickstand, just ride it. Consequently, this bike is pretty much done, not just in terms of the build-off, but for good. It may see a part or 2 changed in the long run, maybe a Brooks, or some better pedals someday, but that's it. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, photos sometime this week.

That was years ago, I'm set at the moment. Appreciate the offer 8) . I already blew the budget on a sprocket, :lol: but it was well worth it. Got a bunch of mostly mid-grade seventies 10-spd components to unload myself, single screw brakes, bearing races, and various what-nots, a few coaster parts. Let me know if you need any of that kind of stuff, similar deals available.

Hoping to get together w/my sister in law for pics this weekend, just a couple of details on the project. The tranny fluid experiment was a bust. The hub seemed to work OK, but the brakes were squealing like a ten wheeler full of #27's. Added a few drops of machine oil, ah, sweet silence. The rideability of this bike means it's going to see some use, so I added a slightly bigger tool pouch that I had in the parts pile, with room for a couple of extra air cartridges, and a little Cat-Eye LED, and a lightweight I-can-see-it-through-the-7-11-window cable and padlock. With the amount of pressure needed to climb the couple of hills between me and the trail this will mostly be used on, I decided I could no longer trust my rattly old repaired pedals, so I put some fresh Bell bow pedals on, they match the look of the bike OK.

It wasn't quite a "no money" project, I bought a sprocket and a chain, but it's had about 15 miles of shakedown without a click, squeak, or rattle, no movement of adjustables, so off to the finished bikes thread we go. :)

Latest posts

Back