"The Typhoon"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "The Typhoon" (formally"1" Schweet Racer)

I guess sometimes even bad news is good news had it not been for the tire problem i never would have been on craigslist looking for schwinn tire replacements and may not have found the seat post i was looking for (the guy was selling a schwinn heavy duty for $50 with the the large seat shown left and post) the seat on the right is the one i am using for my RRB
102_9819_zps98af2a2b.jpg

I ended up selling the frame to a friend and I kept the non schwinn heavy duty wheels (that where on the bike) for a bike i needed to put wheels on to sell
now If i can just find the remaining parts at the bike swap meet coming up this sunday i should have enough money to get what i need to finish before the deadline

Had some OK luck at the swap meet found most of what i needed but paid more than i would have liked

Here is a pic of the rubber coated rat trap pedals and the lucky 7 sprocket i decided to use (i think it looks like the sprocket found on the old cyclone racer)
I had to keep the tip of the pedal ruber free it would get scratched and the rubber coating would peel off to easily
102_9825_zps6472cf19.jpg

Next shows a close up of the front with the schwinn grips also changed out the head badge (originally white with black lettering now black with white lettering) also note the handle bar placement I had to move them up the lower position wouldn't allow regular cruising
102_9828_zps0616daf2.jpg

so now i use the grips when cruising and the middle of the handle bars during race position like left hand in picture below
boardtrack_jpg1000x769.jpg

And finally a close to complete teaser shot (yes i know sprocket is on wrong side) I could find a suitable moped gas tank at the swap meet so i had to order a new one So now i need to paint the tank and place decals on it once it arrives, paint the raised Schwinn typhoon cord lettering on the tires and i should be about done
102_9832_zps4a5782ce.jpg

Nice rat tracker!

Re: "The Typhoon" (final build pics to come after aug 9th)

I saw this picture when looking up boardtrack racing and realized my bike need a number like that

100_3240.jpg

after trying many different ideas the one that worked best where chrome 8" air cleaner covers i got one from my dad who uses them in his pinto race car and the 2nd one i got Sunday at an automotive swap meet I wanted to use an 11-12" so i could put 79 the year of the frame i'm using but i could only find a single one apparently its an odd size for an air cleaner

here is a pick of one chromed and one ready for paint the number is a 4" white decal
102_9841_zps6965a4bf.jpg

and here is the final product
102_9858_zpsa237e994.jpg

I will have more build posses pictures after aug 9th when i get another chance to upload my pictures I need to get the final pics entered and that took priority but for now enjoy the final product

102_9843_zpsb202a1e1.jpg

Re: "The Typhoon" (final build pics to come after aug 9th)

Great build!
I love the air filter cover wheel plates.
BRAVO for finishing!
congRATs!

Back