Unfinished Business

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still had the RBBO5 Ward's Hawthorne bike that I never finished last year; it was the coldest, wettest, windiest summer here in over 100 years never really good for painting or anything else. I did notice there is a crack in the steerer, not too serious and was never able to really get the frame in shape for primer. The pitting from the latex paint that was on it just doesn't want to come out, abrasive wheels, wire wheels, sanding... enough...will need to get it blasted (nice surface rust there now) but not til it warms up and we get a couple of good days put together. So far weather no cooperating again, rain today(talking snow in the mountains), W.T.F? it's mid-May and this is SoCal!!!

It was gonna be a klunker/mil build may try to keep that theme.
IMG_1711.jpg

This fork was bent originally, might have been some of the stress from straightening it even though it was collared, but might have been there from the orignal crash or whatever just never noticed.
IMG_1716.jpg

What kind of temps do you consider "cold" in SoCal? Just curious.

Hope the weather gets right for you, good luck!

yoothgeye said:

I don't know about so cal but up here close to SF it has been low 40's at night with rain and wind, highs in the upper 50's to low 60's. Not cold at all for you northerners but consider that usually it's 65-85 and we're all grilling outside this time of year. It gets colder but it's no good for painting for sure!

Brentley said:
yoothgeye said:

I don't know about so cal but up here close to SF it has been low 40's at night with rain and wind, highs in the upper 50's to low 60's. Not cold at all for you northerners but consider that usually it's 65-85 and we're all grilling outside this time of year. It gets colder but it's no good for painting for sure!

They were talking snow in the mountains last night, 50s-60s yesterday, rainy, and very windy. Last summer the "Coastal Eddy" condition never went away, virtually no sun until fall. Coastal Eddy normally brings fog in morning that burns off, then low humidity 70s-80s day. When the fog hangs around theres usually a pretty strong on-shore wind with it and if not then condensation.

Back