well how many would

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Holds Barred Build Off

• in favor

Votes: 34 100.0%
  • opposed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

like to have a NO HOLDS BARRED build off....

no rules just some one off back yard cuttin and welding.

the current build off really seems to be a refurbish or restore.

NO RULES NO PRIZES JUST BRAGGING RIGHTS for the one with the most votes.
this will give the freak bike guys a chance also.

well it seems it would be geared for the people with a welder or access to one.

even as little as streching the frame a few inches or raking out the neck a little.

it would let as little as that or if somebody wanted to make a one off custom frame with like say a "hotel luggage cart" they would both have the means to compete.

the sky is the limit. not tryin to step on toes just want see if the census feels that this would be a good way for the freak bike guys and the one off guys to get a little build off action

I'd be down for one.
Any reason I can get to cut metal with fire is good!!!

In the words of the immortal Tim Taylor,
ARRRGH,ARGH, ARGH!

i clicked yes cause i wanna build that sorta custom.....however im not sure that this is the right place for this kinda build off....this is a rat rod bike forum....not a kustom bike forum....

totaly torn!!! lol

Brett

Rat rod

"Rat Rod" is a style of Hot Rod or Custom car that imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. It is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "Traditional" Hot Rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a Hot Rod from the same era.
Most Rat Rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or are not), with just the bare essentials to be driven. More recently however, a trend has arisen of making the vehicle appear "unsafe" or "scary", whether the vehicle actually is or not.

well if you wanted to do a custom frame build thats fine. there will be a time frame.

anyone could build a rightous bike in a year but nobody wants to wait a year to see the end bike. right

the NO RULES part will be for the frame and mods to it.

chop it, bend it, weld outriggers on it, make a tall bike chopper, a wheelchair trike whatever your mind could come up with.

( customs, one-offs,frame stretch,...)I guess in a sense thats what we do here ALL the time; just not as a contest. I enjoy the occasional build-off but if I "create" something its usually spontaneous, I dont know if I could force it...ya know what I mean? :?

Just a little background...

I wanted to use the term "Hot Rod Bikes" originally, but the domain was already gone. :roll:

Several people on the Schwinn forum were using the term "Rat Rod" on the cruiser style bikes that they cobbled together from different bikes to create a cool fifties looking rider. Even several bike manufacturers use the term as a label for their flat black model with red wheels and white walls.

Most of us agree that the term "Rat Rod" is sort of faddish and will run it's course eventually like other custom car trends have, but it does make for good bike terminology. In the event that it ever does become unbearable, I've invested in the following domains...

http://www.custombikeforum.com
http://www.vintagebikeforum.com

All this to say, I wasn't thinking too deeply about it all, just thought it would be a fun idea for folks who like to tinker on the cheap and appreciated automotive style of the 50s. :mrgreen:

Kingpin wrote

....this is a rat rod bike forum....not a kustom bike forum....

not to upset you my friend but this is a Rat Rod

1-1-2.jpg

608091-41_111.jpg

db_A_Long_Way_From_Being_A_Rat_Rod.jpg

rrr-090f.jpg

when it comes to Rat Rods there is not one square inch that is not cut chopped, modified, channeled or changed to, in this art! I should know Im in it and I have build them!

my take on it....I see no harm in it! should the time come and the time is right..... I would love to participate in a no holds bar chop up!

With the knolege base and talent that is here a little true Ratting once and a while would do no harm... count me in

my only suggestion is to talk about this after the BBO2 is done !

My definition of Rat Rod is a cool looking vehicle that is a work in progress with the most important part being that it is ridable. I would love a no holds bared comp, even if I'm not sure I could participate just to see what people come up with. Honest Abe's bike comes to mind.

Firewalker said:
my only suggestion is to talk about this after the BBO2 is done !

AMEN!!! yes would take place well away from BBO2.

i know how hard it is to find time to invest time with the everyday norm.

plus i don't want to cast a shadow on the BBO2 just want to see how many are game for such a event.

think it will be fun for everyone even if you just vote..

Back