Western Flipside

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first build. The bike is an old Western Flyer road bike. I purchased it last fall from a local bike shop that specializes in used bikes, Tsunami cycles on South Congress in Austin. It looked like someone's beater commuter that had seen lots of miles.

The sticker on it says "10 speed", but someone converted it to a 12 speed and put 26" rims on it. Also, the stem is bent to the left from a crash last winter. If anyone knows a bit about the history of these old Western Flyer road bikes please share a bit with us.

I'm intending on setting it up with a single chainring on the front, a coaster brake hub on the rear, and some elements of steampunk style. I'm undecided about which wheel size I'll go with.

IMG_0783.jpg

sounds a lot like my bike, except it started as a 26" mtb... I put 28s on mine, plus coasterbrake, and the result is visually dramatic. In a good way. It seems that your frame is rather small for a full size roadie. Maybe it used to be a 26" road bike... These 26" wheels don't look out of place at all, sizewise, and the brakes look like they belong.
Can't wait to see how far you will take the steampunk-idea. I love it, but have to come across a good bicycle example.

Good luck with the build and have fun!

Thanks for the input Rudolf. I think that I'll stick with 26" rims.

Here's some more "before" pics. I'm waiting on parts, and I'm still using this bike to get around South Austin.

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Bent stem.
IMG_0791.jpg

All decals must go.

Thanks SSG! I've seen two other diamond frames so far. I'll have to look around for the others. Yes, I like that this frame is lugged too. That's one of the main reasons I purchased this old beater. I wasn't planning on repainting the frame, but after removing one decal I can see that I should repaint it since the paint has faded on the bike so much.

It's been real hard to find components in a brass color. I'm unsure as to whether I'll paint some components, but I'd like to stick with the steampunk idea.

I've finished scraping the decals off of the frame and taking all parts off of the frame. I'm now going to sand it and paint it. I'm painting the lugs in the color "bronze" in an attempt to make them look brass. The rest of the frame will be painted in "deep burgundy". I done a small test on the front top lug and top tube to see how the colors would look together on the frame.

Also, today I started grinding off the cable stops on the frame (is that what they're called?). I was using a small dremel-like tool. I just took one off. The tool is a bit small for the job. I'll be using a dremel tomorrow.

IMG_0797.jpg

Thanks herr_rudolf! I purchased the bars in the thicker diameter. It made it hard to put the grips on, and I can see that it's going to affect the clamp on the bell. I do like the look and feel of the thicker bars though.

I'd better go out and get to work right now. I have an early deadline for this bike, next Thursday. I'm planning to take it to a local Burning Man festival called Burning Flipside.

Simplicity Nut said:
Thanks herr_rudolf! I purchased the bars in the thicker diameter. It made it hard to put the grips on, and I can see that it's going to affect the clamp on the bell. I do like the look and feel of the thicker bars though.

I'd better go out and get to work right now. I have an early deadline for this bike, next Thursday. I'm planning to take it to a local Burning Man festival called Burning Flipside.

I had that problem too, two years ago when building my RRBBO#4 bike. Couldn't find replacementbars to fit the bigger stem, so I was stuck with the old. Spend weeks searching for brakelevers that would fit. Ended up with the cheapest set I found with an adjustible clamp. That didn't fit either but I was able to make myself a new clamp.

We love to see bikes being used, se be sure to take pics at the event!

I took the parts with me and assembled the bike at the festival.
IMG_0811.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the first pic. I shot it in the morning sun. I didn't want to move the parts.

IMG_0829.jpg

These pics of the bike were shot once I returned home. As it turns out, I have two pics and me that were shot at the festival, but I'm shirtless and this thread is about the bike. :)

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

The tires are 1.75" wide and made by Continental. They barely fit in the front fork and between the chain stays on the rear. I'm very happy with the look and ride of the tires.

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

I'm quite happy with the color of the rims, chainring & cranks, the burgundy frame, and the bronze lugs. I hand painted the frame with a brush. I have some touching up to do. Also, I had a tough time deciding on the color of the pedal, and suspect that the bike may look better with black pedals instead of the silver ones that are on it now.

SWEET looking bike! Could you share with us, exactly what brand of paint you used? That brass look is killer.

Thanks for the compliments guys. KOTA, I used some acrylics. The majority of the frame is in "deep burgundy" by Americana, and the lugs are in "metallic bronze" by Ceramcoat. I've been planning to but another coat of paint on it and cover it with a clear coat of Modge Podge sealer, their outdoor variety. I hand painted it all with small brushes. Whew, it was time consuming.

I've been considering putting black pedals on it. Also, I almost went with black hubs, but I wanted the shimano brand coaster brake, and the black model was a generic no-name.

Back