What is it about old?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one am glad that I found this site. I cannot explain it, but for some reason, I would pass up 100 free new bikes for a nice old one. The thing is though it is not even just bikes, but everything. Old Lawn Mowers, cars, furniture etc. I have friends that think I'm nuts because I will walk right past a nice shiny car at the car shows to drool over a rat rod, or an unrestored clunker. My old Ross is not that old, late 70's, early 80's, but I just get a funny feeling everytime I look at the rusty wheels, and scratches on the frame, like the thing is indestructable. heck even my wife is 35 now, I told her when she reaches 40 I'll trade her in for 2 20's, but she didnt find that amuzing. Anyway, I just want to thank everyone here for having those same tastes as me, and helping not think that I am alone and weird! Well, I am weird, but just not alone! :mrgreen:

I am right on the state line across from Newton County. Hour south of Chicago. Illinois 114 (Momence) turns into Indiana SR 10 (Demotte) I am about 15 minutes away from the Ponderosa Sun Club :mrgreen: Not that I have ever been there! lol

know exactly what you mean. yeah, the bikes i'm currently playing with are Wally Rays, but in general, I love old stuff. my favorite thing to do outside the house is hit thrift stores and flea markets and yard sales and estate auctions. my main hobby is collecting and tinkering with HO scale slot cars, the older the better. the best ones are from the 60s. if i had the time and toolbox for it, i'd drive old cars. i think my family of 6 would look GREAT in a Vista Cruiser or Sportwagon from the 60s. i DO have a '65 Impala in the garage, but it's a nice-weather occasional car mainly because I don't have the time and money to maintain it as a daily driver. my wife absolutely cannot understand how i can go to swap meets at Carlisle, PA and spend 9 or 10 hours at a time looking at boxes and boxes and piles of old junk... :mrgreen:

--rick

the thrill of it for me is to be able to roll down the street in something that is older than you and looks nicer than anything else on the road. The idea of have a beautiful piece of metal that has been everywhere and still wants to keep on going is amazing. When i ride my bikes i feel like a kid again (im only 22 but hey i'm reaching that point where things start to hit you :p).

serenity now.

oh yea...
I told her when she reaches 40 I'll trade her in for 2 20's
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

New stuff is suck. I love cast iron pans (just ask CCR!!) cars with cast iron engines and built like tanks, bikes that weigh 60 lbs, phones with rotary dial that double as a anti-home invasion weapons.

There's something comforting about the permanence of old "stuff".

Where's the emoticon for shaking a cane at the world? Things aren't the way they used to be.

- Grumpy Old Skoda

Latest posts

Back