What is it? Rebadged single tube prewar 28" (PICS added)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought locally off ebay. Just picked it up. Pansy cycles is the headbadge. Local to Denver, thus the reason I had to have it. Colson sold a similar camelback in the 20's, but the dropouts aren't colson. Iver Johnson?

No serial number found so far. Sweetheart sprocket... click on image to make larger...

img20120122145709.jpg

img20120122145726.jpg

img20120122145713.jpg

Re: What is it? Rebadged single tube prewar 28"

I can't find any bike with a similar truss rod setup (one piece welded to forks). I'm guessing it's pretty early just based on that. Anyone know when truss rods were first put on a bicycle?

I couldn't resist bidding since it came from denver. It actually looks worse in person, but the wheels are straight and I'm pretty sure I can get almost all the bolts loose after some more soaking. The seller was nice enough to meet me half way so it was only 100mile round trip.

Westfield made a frame like this from the late 20s to about '37. They also supplied these frames for Sears' Elgin. I'd guess it to be one of those Westfield products. I have a '35 Elgin Redbird like this and that tiny headtube is pretty distinct. It's barely over 5". Yours is a bit earlier, in the 28" heyday.

FLOODDAMAGEVIDEO026.jpg

Though Shelby had a frame real similar in the late 20s/early 30s. The paint scheme actually resembles one of those a little more. If you took a straight on shot of the fork, that should be able to narrow it down.

Jpromo said:
Though Shelby had a frame real similar in the late 20s/early 30s. The paint scheme actually resembles one of those a little more. If you took a straight on shot of the fork, that should be able to narrow it down.

I'll take some more photos tonight. Thanks

I found a serial of 5927 on the BB last night. That pretty much confirms it for me that it is a 1927 Westfield unless I find otherwise. No serial number database as far as I know for pre-36 westfield/columbia's.

Amazingly, the stem, handlebar, pedals, cranks, and seatpost all came off with ease last night. I'm cleaning what I can and hope to get some set of wheels on there in the next week to ride it a bit. I flipped and rotated the bars for now for a more upright riding position (I ride my bikes so boardtrack mode when I'm 6'1" would kill me). I'd love to find some old bars more like the originals for it.

forgot to mention, rear hub is a morrow. Looks like the code was worn off or not there through from the hub cleaner (leather band). I'm guessing the wheels (or at least rear hub) was replaced sometime in the 30's.

Likely just ride. The $300 tires kinda put me off for a full restore...

I'm pretty tempted to just buy a walmart onyx and swap the wheels and get some creme 29" tires for it, I just wish the spokes weren't black...

Latest posts

Back