Worksman bobber build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5c52ddee.jpg

This is the starting point .. Craigs list find

82406b42.jpg

First mod - grinding off the chainguard tabs for engine clearance

78662876.jpg

Here's the engine area mock up;
First issue is getting the motor low enough that the plug and carb clear, while maintaining clearance for the chainring. I'm using a 36T or smaller chainring & flipping the head to make this happen... I'm going to fab motor mounts front and back to make it rock solid. I'll put a tube through the straight bar for the throttle cable to prevent wear on the carb.

545a2a3f.jpg

Here's a shot of the prewelded front mounts, they're made from channel so
There almost like shoes ... Once fabbed , I leveled the bottom bracket and then leveled the motor (drive sprocket) to keep it aligned. I also put tank tabs on the top tube at this point. To make sure I had the proper clearance I threw the front end on so I could see where the tank needed to be to clear the bars on a tight turn.

2bd21149.jpg

Here's the frame with the tank tabs and motor mounts in place

Next up the fork tube gussets
7233db07.jpg

Here's a shot of the fork tube gussets before I cleaned them
Up. The trick here was to get the plate flush with the fork tube,top tube, straight bar & simultaneously and then get the lightning holes to line up to put the DOM through.

Next - move the seat

c5a4b75d.jpg

To move the seat back an old piece of seatpost was welded onto a plate shaped to fit between the chainstays

db700d2d.jpg

This is what it looks like when welded in place

I wanted to put supports under the plate for the seat that would act as gussets for the seat stays and help tie in the line of the top tube with the stays,at the same time,fab a permanent mount for my centerstand that acts as a chainstay support. I also made gussets/supports for the stays at the dropouts.

77a1cc60.jpg

These are the fabbed pieces

e6802b62.jpg

Seatstay support

53481fab.jpg

Centerstand mount
909bbe8a.jpg

Dropout/stay support

Next comes the idler and brake tab;
most idlers are bolted onto the chainstay which is at a different angle than the chain line from hub to motor.
I wanted it to be parallel so I put a laser level on the motor side hub cog and marked the line on a pipe nipple that was cut and placed over the chainstay. Then a slot was cut in the nipple a piece from an alternator bracket was welded in.

e3b327b8.jpg

The completed piece was the welded in place along with a tab for the brake arm

fb317e92.jpg

Here's a good look at the idler , dropout Gusset & brake arm tab

Next is primer and then truck bed liner

59d91880.jpg

21589ea0.jpg

Back soon!

Here's where we end up.

f1ba1be5.jpg

Robertk said:
Cool- like the gusset!
Thanks ! It's patterned after the 80's Bmx bikes. Worksman bikes tend to look rectangular so I tried to give it some circular lines .

sweetwillie said:
Nice work. Looks great. How does it run?
It's heavy , I won't win any sprints , but I can cruise all day at 32-34 and there's no vibration . It feels like a 70's luxury car but it handles well & Corners tight.
Thanks!

Yea, I built one last fall on an older very heavy steel frame (probably not as heavy as a Worksman). Rides just like the description of your bike. Lots of fun. Here is mine.

DSCN2432.jpg

Back