Zep...Snyder fastback sport frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Found this locally for a good price. Has original Kelly Springfield Dispatch tires, torrington 10 pedals, etc. Looks like it's all there and the original paint is under the black house paint. Anyone know how to remove house paint without damaging original paint?

zep.jpg

zep2.jpg

zep3.jpg

zep4-1.jpg

Gettin there. I started to strip the old layers of paint and found the original paint underneath. It's mostly shot, but I think I can salvage the Rollfast darts and graphics. It was originally a black bike, then painted red, then silver, gold and finally black again. A real PIA getting this paint off. The fender and fork piant was a loss. I think the white tires look cool.

38zep.jpg

38zep2.jpg

NIce!! I believe yours is a hawthorne frame because of the built in drop stand stops. I have the same frame with those. My buddy has a rollfast and it doesnt have those tabs. It takes bolt on ones.

The tabs are in general a function of the age of the frame rather than the branding. The frames were made by Snyder and did not have tabs through most of 1937. In late 1937 or during 1938 the tabs were added. there may have been an overlap of the two styles as earlier parts supplies were being exhausted but I haven't found any correlation between tabs and branding. Also, Hawthorne badged versions did not use that dart pattern.

Thanks guys.....yeah It has the original Rollfast badge. Man I put it back together just for fun before finishing the paint etc, but I think it looks great just like it is...am I wrong???

i really got to get a snyder bike. that is my last name, hahaha.liking where this is going

I tried...it's a little more straight now, but I'll need a new fork or weld a new tube. Anyone have a fork for this bike?

Back