Zephyr Speed Shop's Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been a lurker on here for quite some time, but I finally just got around to posting some pics of my bike. This bike has been in the family for many years, my grandmother's uncle used to own a bike and lock shop back in the late 30's, thus being one of the bikes that was from his shop. As a little kid, i always wanted to do something with it, I just never really got around to it. Finally, I pulled it down from the rafters and took it apart to paint and stuff, then again stuffed it away for another 2 years when I started to build my hot rod. This year I finally got the idea that I wanted to make it look like a vintage racer using cool parts and some 30's hot rod parts that I had laying around. Here is what I have done so far, it still isn't all the way done, but It rides great!
LauraIandFam058.jpg

LauraIandFam063.jpg

LauraIandFam060.jpg

The bike is an original paint Schwinn Panther III that sat next to a 5 gallon can of muradic acid for about a year, so every part that was nicked or had thinned paint has a nice area of surface rust to it. The chrome is too lightly pitted, making this thing have tons of patina! I used all l30's castle nuts that were lightly rusted, same with the steel for the headlight bracket. The taillight is off of my model a, and it has a mini battery opperated light in it, so it is truely functional. The wheelset is a nexus 3 speed adapted to a 72 schinn krate bike shifter that is mounted inside of the original schwinn tank. The headlight is a 32 ford foglight that I had laying around. I bobbed the original front fender and mounted it on the rear and matched the profile of the tire so that the fender hugs the tire (about 1/8 clearance) for a nice racy look. The bars are off of a Shelby girls bike, and not pictured is a vintage stewart warner mechanical speedo. This bike was a blast to build, and is even more fun to ride! This bike has been in the family since new, and will continue to stay in it for generations to come. I can't wait to get working on my next project...... :D

i cant figure out whats on the front hub ? help me !!! :mrgreen:

really like the lights and tank/shifter. nice and mean lookin bike !!!

CCR said:
i cant figure out whats on the front hub ? help me !!! :mrgreen:

really like the lights and tank/shifter. nice and mean lookin bike !!!

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Hahaha I know it is kinda hard to tell from that side of the bike, but it is the wheel that turns the mechanical speedometer (I didn't have the speedo mounted when these pics were taken) that I drilled some holes in to look racier. As for the rear tail light it is functional, but I haven't done anything to get the front working...something on the "to-do" list...

Awesome bike.I've been thinking about it since I saw it this afternoon.

That has a very nice look to it, I really like the clean look of the stick shifters mounted inside the tanks.

Latest posts

Back