Zeppie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Due to the fact that I sold the fork off my rider Zep last week it seems I have no cruisable rider. This is a problem as I plan on riding into the Weirs for motorcycle weekend and I wont be taking my 29er!

I had pulled out this frame to sell but the sale went quiet. So I started sanding it down Sunday & Monday night, fixed the cracked chainstay, aligned the frame and drop outs. Spent some time with a flat file, round file and sand paper to smoothed out some of the old braze repairs and hit it with some primer. No pictures of that process. Dug through my fender pile and came up with a pair of nice big deep fenders with junk stays. Sanded those down and pulled a set of flat braces from a Westfield bike and adjusted them to fit. Had to re-drill the stays to line up with the fender holes. Fortunately I had some new production fender bolts.

Went to Lowes Tuesday night and picked up some colors. Started applying paint at 10:00PM. Did some digging through the parts pile and I had some really cool parts I have been reserving. Proceeded to fit the chainguard and that was fairly uneventful as was the re-chromed fork. Polished up a Torrington deco stem and fitted some wide bars with glass jewel coke bottle grips. Color matched some glass reflectors to the rear fender. I don't have the proper drop stand for this frame so I'm going to go without for the time being.

I was fortunate enough to buy a NOS tank over the winter so I didn't have to strip my old one, hit it with some color and added some pinstripes. Applied the 2 tone on Thursday morning. It's ready to mount as soon as I install the horn.

Didn't get any work done Friday..yikes

Last year some of the hills leading out of the Weirs just about killed me and I was too stubborn to get off and push so this bike is getting a 3 speed rear and chrome wheels. Just found that the rear needs to be trued up so there's another thing to get done tonight! Recently picked up a neat old bike with some nearly new vintage black tires so on they went. My best chrome dogleg crankset and a teardrop 1/2" pitch chainring will put the power to the back.

Still have a lot to do tonight:
get the stem to sit lower in the steerer tube
install truss rods
fit a better seat post than was in it.
Mount up my custom Zeppelin seat
install parade bars
Fit this awesome EA aluminum fender light, no time to make it usable but it's going on anyway.
Install front fender braces and front fender.
install a chain.
install the stick shift, cables and hope the hub works
trim off fender bolts

blah blah blah... here you go..

chain tension adjuster frame threads are stripped, bummer. pretty sure I can tighten the axle enough for it to be ok. light is on, truss rods are on, rear wheel installed, seat post and seat are on. also need to decide on pedals..

had to make a custom bracket and add a cable adjuster to make the short shift cable work but the best part is IT WORKS! No room on the front axle to add the parade bars. Cleaning up an old Rollfast speedo and that will be it till tomorrow, short test ride and I'm off.

the bracket didn't work, because the bracket was not in alignment with the shift knuckle and was only bolted in one spot. As soon as there was tension on it the bracket would pivot. I was stuck in high gear for 4 miles, a local garage set me up with a hose clamp and that helped a bit. I'll be welding on a cable stop to the chainstay. the hub is a Shimano 333

Sorry to hear the bracket setup didn't work properly. It sure was a clean looking setup. The whole bike build turned out very nice. Thanks for the hub info. I have not run one of the 333 hubs yet. Only the 3S and Nexus Shimano hubs thus far.

Back