Zombie Bob/Huffy Camaro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this with 5 other frames pulled from scrap iron at a salvage yard, I got this frame, a bent up girls Huffy, a 24" 55 Schwinn Spitfire, and three kids frames, one of them a skip tooth for $20.00. I sanded and primed the Spitfire and sold it for $20.00 so free frames. It only had half of its tank and had a Thunder bird of something painted on it. the crank was locked up and the seat post was rusted in. With lots of WD-40 and a blowtorch I got all the stuff off. When I was fighting the crank off I caught my thumb in it and ripped off a nasty chunk of skin. Blood, sweat, and beers. So since its back from the dead and it bit me I named it Zombie. It was about 40% metallic gold and 60% rust, with some stress cracks I filled with JB Weld. I wish I had taken some pics of it before I sanded it.

The next pic is of the three adult frames. I wish I would have held on to the Spitfire, but I didnt know what I wanted then. Around this time I noticed that the girls frame was bent at the lower head tube. So I cut it up to fix anouther frame. Anyway this is Zombie with his first few coats of primer. It took me a few coats before I got it right, you know the smoothing the primer without going down the the metal.

I took some handle bars, crank and sprocket and other random parts off another Huffy bike I had, It was a girls bike that someone badly spaypainted over the original paint with out taking it apart. So I had to remove paint from the crank, sprocket, seat post, and clamp.
Since the frame was so beat up and pitted I decided to undercoat it and the forks with three coats of hammered black spraypaint. Yes I know spraypaint wont last long but I wanted to paint something. Sorry no picks of the undercoat.
After that I painted the forks and frame with Rustoleum color shift green/purple, before I did this I tested it on a pair of Schwinn handle bars handle bars I had that had lost about 70% of its chrome. It looked nice with the hammered/color shift so I went for it. If it chips off I'll sandblast everything and have my neighbor paint it at his body shop. I just got tired of waiting for him to have the free time to paint it. It has two coat of color shift now, after two more I will post some picks.
Update. I talked to my neighbor and he said he would clear coat my parts and it would last much longer. This makes me happy. By the way the spray paint clear coat is as effective as putting a band-aid over a bullet wound.

Just a tip to anyone who doesn't think about the obvious when they do something like this. When you paint something in an outside area curtained off with plasic sheeting you will have dust after every coat. I painted my forks in my garage, they look sharp.

Oh. I have two sets of wheels I could use. the first set is a Shimano coaster brake, the other is a Bendix red band coaster brake. When I took the Bendix apart to clean up one of the brake shoes was cracked in half, and the other had a big chip missing. I see no scrathes in the hub but wonder if its a good idea to replace it or if its too far gone. Are Shimano's worth using, I've never had one, and dont have any bike friends to ask:(

Nice scores, Shimano makes an excellent coaster brake, I have about 10 bikes right now with Shimano coaster brake hubs on em. Pack em with plenty of grease and you will never have any trouble out of em. I always use Mobile One synthetic grease out of the tub, it will be the smoothest working coaster hub you have ever ridden on.

Back