Another LED light conversion 'HowTo'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey everyone, just being doing the lights for my trike and figured I would get some pics along the way and do a 'HowTo' as it seems the question gets asked a lot. There are other threads and methods on the site, this is just one way that I have used a few times...

Started with a '70's Union brand dynamo headlight:

2016-11-27 00.38.02.jpg

And some $3 camping lanterns from the $1 shop:

2016-11-27 00.36.51.jpg

This is the board those lanterns have after trimming them out of the plastic housing using a DLD (Dremel Like Device.):

2016-11-27 00.37.08.jpg

Using the DLD again, I trimmed the back off the headlight reflector housing:

2016-11-27 00.37.34.jpg

Then with a hot melt glue gun, stuck the two together:

2016-11-27 00.39.18.jpg

Then soldered new wires to the back and supported the wires with more glue:

2016-11-27 00.39.55.jpg

Assembled the light and here is the finished result:

2016-11-27 00.40.39.jpg

Then I moved on to my beehive taillights, these were already LED but meant for 24volt, so were too dull on battery power, same process, cut the reflector housing to suit the LED board:

2016-11-27 00.40.59.jpg

Glue, solder, assemble and this is the result:

2016-11-27 00.41.23.jpg

This is all running on just 2 watch batteries in the pics and video, final assembly will see them replaced with 4xAA batteries which will run a bit brighter and for much longer.

Basically does not matter what torch/lantern you find, provided you know the voltage it is meant to run at and you keep any resisters that are fitted and make sure you still run them, the basic idea can be used.

Luke.

Thank you !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
No worries!

Just thought I would mention, those little 9 LED torches work with this too, but they don't seem to like being hooked up in parralel to the same battery pack with other ones, not sure why, must be a resister/voltage drop thing that is above my understanding level.
You can just hook them up separately, just means running separate battery pack for each light.

Luke.

No worries!

Just thought I would mention, those little 9 LED torches work with this too, but they don't seem to like being hooked up in series to the same battery pack with other ones, not sure why, must be a resister/voltage drop thing that is above my understanding level.
You can just hook them up separately, just means running separate battery pack for each light.

Luke.

Luke, if you are going to tie several lights into the same circuit, try doing so in parallel. Wiring them in series will undoubtedly cause a reduction in current, but parallel should provide equal performance for all. The trade off is reduced battery life.

Presentation1_zpsc5xqejnd.jpg

Luke, if you are going to tie several lights into the same circuit, try doing so in parallel. Wiring them in series will undoubtedly cause a reduction in current, but parallel should provide equal performance for all. The trade off is reduced battery life.

Presentation1_zpsc5xqejnd.jpg
I usually do run parallel, guess I worded that wrong...

Latest posts

Back