1947 Hawthorne "Mild One" (Pedals and stem done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
I just received this frame today. I've been looking a while for a taller frame, so this was perfect. Don't expect anything wild, it's just going to be a simple OG paint bike.
dICroJf.jpg

I threw on a few spare parts to start getting an idea of which direction I want to go with it. I kind of like it already, except for the sprocket. I haven't found a 1/2 pitch sprocket that fits the look I want and the original sprocket was only available in 1" pitch.
J52osHQ.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! Love seeing a vintage tall frame.

I think @SSG's frame is a taller version, both very cool! :thumbsup:
Pretty sure they're the same, I just have my seat raised up to road bike height and a 52 tooth chain ring. 21" from botton bracket to seat tube. All my other bikes are in the ballpark of 18". Reguardless, 47 Hawthorne's are great bikes, I've put over 2000 miles on mine.

Pretty sure they're the same, I just have my seat raised up to road bike height and a 52 tooth chain ring. 21" from botton bracket to seat tube. All my other bikes are in the ballpark of 18". Reguardless, 47 Hawthorne's are great bikes, I've put over 2000 miles on mine.
My apologies! Must be just the angle of the photo!

Looking forward to seeing this... Is there a list somewhere of the taller frames? It would be a good resource for my future builds.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Another tall frame Hawthorne! My 42 model measures 20", just right. Schwinn made a king size cantilever frame for a couple years in the 60's, Heavy Duty and American models. They are just like the regular cruisers just bigger. Rollfast was also made by Snyder, same as our bikes. I don't know of any other taller vintage cruiser frames.
teardown - Copy.JPG

I dont know if its a boat light, its a portable spotlight with a red light that swings upright and presumably flashes? I could see something like that being used on a boat, but it's not something I'm familiar with. Not totally sure I'm going to use it on this bike though, my opinion tends to change as i go along.

Latest posts

Back