Mesa Buggie - Wuggie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
IMG_20170117_153223_069.jpg

This build was a continuation of my Mesa Buggie build from last year's 2016 Off Road Build Off. This year I added a 6 spd freewheel along with a vintage Shimano Eagle rear derailleur and operated by a late '80s Shimano thumb shifter. That's on the 'go' side. On the 'slow' side, I added an Avid BB7 disc brake kit for a rear brake, along with an adapter to mount the caliper to the rear stays.

Here is the build thread from the original build, Mesa Buggie ORBO 2017:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/orbo-mesa-büggie-back40-old-and-new-rat-isfaction-pg-7.96367/

And the build thread for the modifications during our WBO 2017:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mesa-buggie-wuggie-el-fine.101614/

Here's a list of the parts used on this build:

-1951 Schwinn DX frame with patina left as is and clear coated
-1" threadless fat tire fork, rustina added to blend with the frame
-1" threadless bmx stem
-1978 motocross bars from motorcycle grave yard
-motorcycle gum rubber grips
-solid lead seat post
-1980's Selle San Marco suede saddle
-Sunlite BB conversion kit
-late '80s Shimano Deore crankset with 39t chain ring and Rock Ring guard
-late '80s Shimano thumb shifter
-late '80s 6 speed freewheel
-1960's Shimano Eagle rear derailleur
-Weinmann 6 bolt hub alloy rear wheel with replacement bolt on axle and cones / nuts
-Avid BB7 disc brake kit with rotor, lever, caliper
-Disc brake caliper adapter to use with non-disc frame
-65mm fat bike front wheel and 26 x 3.8" fat tire
-CST Cheyenne 26 x 2.4" rear tire

20170110_125740.jpg

20170110_125629.jpg

42799_98b75b442f984eeb62119772792d7bd6.jpg

43457_3f06c3bb26c081cb065026e4ae62c1e1.jpg

And one last thing....the ride video of Mesa Buggie - Wuggie on the Desert Classic Trail at South Mtn in Mesa, AZ....

Last edited:
Why a fat tire on the front, but not the rear? I don't ride off road so I know little about the technical aspects of the sport.
Hey, Josh. With a tire of that size, 26 x 3.8 on the front, and run at a low p.s.i. say around 7-9 psi; the tire will conform and roll over bumps and uneven surfaces in the trail. Instead of bouncing off of them.

The whole purpose of suspension is to keep the tires on the surface to maintain control and traction. So, with the low pressure in the large volume tire, and the wide rim which helps disperse the 'bump impact' of the terrain, you won't flat as easily.

It will be a much smoother ride than say a 26 x 2.2 standard mountain bike tire; which by virtue of the narrower rim and small contact patch on the ground has to run a higher psi to avoid flatting and rides much harsher, albeit probably faster.

The final reason in this instance is, the 1951 Schwinn frame barely contains the 26 x 2.4 knobby tire I have in there, and would never fit a fat rim and tire combo like on the front. The front fork is specific for the fat tire.

I remember having a set of Specialized brand mountain bike tires in late 90's. The front was a knobby 26x2.2 and a rear 26x1.9 which had a very mild almost knob less profile. They rode amazingly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! :thumbsup:

I remember BMX's running 1.95 fronts and 1.75 rears back in the day. More grip and cushion on the front, lower rolling resistance on the rear.
Yeah, Luke. It is def a concept carried over from those bmx days. Only taken to a bit more of an extreme....! :wink1:

Hey, Josh. With a tire of that size, 26 x 3.8 on the front, and run at a low p.s.i. say around 7-9 psi; the tire will conform and roll over bumps and uneven surfaces in the trail. Instead of bouncing off of them.

The whole purpose of suspension is to keep the tires on the surface to maintain control and traction. So, with the low pressure in the large volume tire, and the wide rim which helps disperse the 'bump impact' of the terrain, you won't flat as easily.

It will be a much smoother ride than say a 26 x 2.2 standard mountain bike tire; which by virtue of the narrower rim and small contact patch on the ground has to run a higher psi to avoid flatting and rides much harsher, albeit probably faster.

The final reason in this instance is, the 1951 Schwinn frame barely contains the 26 x 2.4 knobby tire I have in there, and would never fit a fat rim and tire combo like on the front. The front fork is specific for the fat tire.
Thanks for the info!

Killer klunk and I like that fat front tire with the ridged fork that's is the shock absorber . Looks like a great place to ride & you mad cool video the sky was perfect. watch out for them rattle snakes . I bought a new 29er mnt. Bike a couple years ago . On the second time I rode it I ran over a 5' rattler . I took a hard crash & folded the front wheel when I flew off the trail & landed in the ditch . It was a bad day but I guess it was a good day because at least I didn't get bit .
Enjoy that AZ winter bro ....

Killer klunk and I like that fat front tire with the ridged fork that's is the shock absorber . Looks like a great place to ride & you mad cool video the sky was perfect. watch out for them rattle snakes . I bought a new 29er mnt. Bike a couple years ago . On the second time I rode it I ran over a 5' rattler . I took a hard crash & folded the front wheel when I flew off the trail & landed in the ditch . It was a bad day but I guess it was a good day because at least I didn't get bit .
Enjoy that AZ winter bro ....

That's a positive attitude to crashing if I ever heard one G! Haha! Yeah, it's too cold for the snakes yet. But the cactus like to reach out and bite ya once in a while.

If you're like me, the first thought after a crash is "Is my bike okay?" Then I take inventory of my body! :21:

Lovin' the AZ desert. Thanks man. Had a new adventure yesterday...Jeepin' with a buddy and a bunch of his Jeep pals.
leejeeping.jpg

That's me hangin' ten.

Latest posts

Back