Extended Cruise - Added to Finished Build Thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be hard to explain, but im going to try...

What about using an old cantilever style cable hanger to make a "splitter"? Attach it to the cable coming from the shifter, and run two housings/one cable to both derailleuers from that?

Pics of cable hanger i am speaking of...

e8d51acce4db5ec781e0fbe8ab40933f.jpg

9287ad5405176cd827fbfb4c3817d061.jpg

Of course you could always order a cable splitter from problem solvers, but making one is more fun :)

Wow, that just might be the PERFECT solution! Thanks!

This may be hard to explain, but im going to try...

What about using an old cantilever style cable hanger to make a "splitter"? Attach it to the cable coming from the shifter, and run two housings/one cable to both derailleuers from that?

Pics of cable hanger i am speaking of...

e8d51acce4db5ec781e0fbe8ab40933f.jpg

9287ad5405176cd827fbfb4c3817d061.jpg

Of course you could always order a cable splitter from problem solvers, but making one is more fun :)
I was thinking along the same lines, but your idea is much simpler than what I was imagining!
...Maybe two cables leaving the shifter would be even less complicated.

Your build is really something out of this world![emoji41] Keep on the great work. Hope to see it finished.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Derailleur syncing - the manual option.

So this was the option that won out. I could probably make up a dozen or so reasonable sounding reasons why. In reality I think I just got lazy trying to figure out a more elaborate, yet reliable configuration for making a single shifter move both derailleurs the way I needed. Plus, when I decided on the final shifter location there wasn't a lot of room to work with.

The shifters are from the Varsity donor that supplied the rear derailleur and crank set. I split the stem mounting bracket, shaped each side to fit up to the seat tube and tacked them in place. Works well and has that nice, heavy, clunky gear change feel that Varsity's always had.

shifter01.jpg

shifter02.jpg

Bare metal overview and details.

Last couple days have been spent making spacers, cable guides, miscellaneous small parts and then assembling everything together. Test ride went really well! Actually I'm surprised how comfortable it is to ride. Still need a few more details... guides for the cables at the handlebar stem, rear fender and fender mounting tabs, a cross piece for the seat springs that will clear the rear tire, final attachment hardware, rocker bushings, and final weld-up. Should be starting the long cleaning, polishing and painting process soon!

sideview.jpg

frnt3qtr.jpg

01_stop.jpg

02_stop.jpg

03_forkStemAttachment.jpg

04_forkStemAttachment.jpg

05_brakeLever.jpg

07_shifterSeat.jpg

09_rearOverview.jpg

10_revearseSideDriveLine.jpg

11_btmBrake.jpg

There is a lot going on here! Thanks for all the close-up shots on the various moving parts and custom add-ons.

Derailleur syncing - the manual option.

So this was the option that won out. I could probably make up a dozen or so reasonable sounding reasons why...

The symmetrical look of the shifters is enough of a reason for me! Looks great!

There is a lot going on here! Thanks for all the close-up shots on the various moving parts and custom add-ons.

Hopefully it's not too image heavy! I know I always enjoy seeing the details on other builds. Also forces me to try and get everything exactly how I want it if I know I'm going to show it.

Love it!
I need to make a list of all the bikes here that I can't forget to check back in on, here's another one :)

Filler - sand - primer - sand - paint.

Some close-up shots of the frame finishing process. Probably could have used another coat & sand or two of filler primer. I switched to Dupli-color lacquer from the Rustoleum enamel I used last time I painted a frame. The enamel color coat filled imperfections more than the lacquer. Not sure if it's the lacquer vs enamel, Dupli-color vs Rustoleum, or maybe even a difference in pigment? Had to remind myself that all the components I'm using for this build are well experienced and show it! This finish will work just fine for a bike that I plan ride. The Dupli-color laid down real nice. Next time I'll just make sure to get all scratches filled better with the primer coat. Clear coat goes on later this week.

bodyworkDetail01.jpg

bodyworkDetail01a.jpg

bodyworkDetail02.jpg

bodyworkDetail02a.jpg

bodyworkDetail03.jpg

bodyworkDetail03a.jpg

bodyworkDetail04.jpg

bodyworkDetail04a.jpg

bodyworkDetail05.jpg

bodyworkDetail05a.jpg

Latest posts

Back