Rules rule.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Just read a post by @Smoopy's in a thread in this build-off that is subject to being nuked because of the rules for this build-off and it made me start thinking.
While I understand the need for certain rules especially concerning things like start and stop dates & requiring a journal of the build, I am concerned that some potential participation is being sidelined due to some less critical rules. The merit of certain rules can be debated about keeping a theme like muscle bikes or klunkers etc. in a group, but I'm wondering if some arbitrary rules might be having a negative effect on member participation. I have noticed a bit of a decline in all posting on the forum over the last couple of years (I could be wrong), so I'm concerned that restricting participation might not be such a good idea in a time when boosting participation makes better sense.

I have an extra damaged Virtue Ortho frame as a result of purchasing one as a complete bike a few months ago. Due to the long headtube a standard fork falls short. I received a replacement frame for the one damaged in shipping, so I still have it which needs refinishing and a fork.
A couple of days ago I made some sketches and sourced some parts to make a non traditional rat rod fork. The frame was made in Taiwan and is a 2013 or so design patterned after a late 1800’s Pedersen Bike design.
Therefore it looks like this Build won’t fit the rules. I will probably continue the project in the cold shadows or save it for the Summer BO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I prefer the ‘anything goes’ build offs myself, but build off rules are build off rules. They’re made by the person that organises the build off and ought to be respected. If a build doesn’t fit the parameters of a particular build off, then it doesn’t belong there and there is somewhere else on the forum for it.

@Rat Rod and @LukeTheJoker have my respect and thanks for organising the build offs and I’ll play by the rules they put forward when I enter.

I’d hope others do the same.

Glen.

Initially I had planned to set the build off up like we had it two years ago (anything goes), but then people spoke up and said that there were already rules in place that had been agreed upon so I posted those. For some reason I was under the impression that those what what most people wanted this go around.

I honestly don't care what the rules are for these smaller build offs that take place throughout the year. I try to stay out of them except for the initial set up. The whole bloody thing is just for fun anyway....it's a free bicycle website.

I liked the Winter build-off for 2017 where unfinished or previously started builds were allowed.

Personally I prefer the anything goes build offs too.
I hate to see someone be turned away because of rules, or a statement by someone here. But I do agree with the one rule that the bike must be built during the build off.

I'm not participating in this one due to two other projects, and I think I'm just going to stick to the summer build offs. I've got to many bikes I don't ride.

The whole bloody thing is just for fun anyway....it's a free bicycle website.
This sort of sums up what I was thinking when I started the topic. Let's keep things fun. :happy:

I have an extra damaged Virtue Ortho frame as a result of purchasing one as a complete bike a few months ago. Due to the long headtube a standard fork falls short. I received a replacement frame for the one damaged in shipping, so I still have it which needs refinishing and a fork.
A couple of days ago I made some sketches and sourced some parts to make a non traditional rat rod fork. The frame was made in Taiwan and is a 2013 or so design patterned after a late 1800’s Pedersen Bike design.
Therefore it looks like this Build won’t fit the rules. I will probably continue the project in the cold shadows or save it for the Summer BO.

I'm glad you are in... As I did not know that they were doing remakes of this ole era bike... Even thou it is a new age frame it is still based on something vintage... Will be interesting what you do with it.

In the winter I prefer no rules,I like that we can run riot.
Last years finished was cool,even thou I started and never finished.:D
For summer /main build-off,I like the rules.
And if it was a theme build off,with certain must haves,I like that,gives a challenge.
But kudos to the admins.

I doubt I will be building a frame from bracket and headtube out but, tell me it will just bump categories somehow if I do cut every inch of it. I am just not going to lie. When I start something I don't know when I am going to say "finished". I want to use this first one with the broken frame. Plan to cut every tube but the seat post and that could change. Where does that put me?
0ecac1c13d4aecd42fc7cf1c7ef8ebca.jpg
532bf750816fad6b3722ee198d087358.jpg
3c2a492b259de42115b9a6112ed3fe06.jpg
a04bbf3f2227c1bddc9fb9bb495794db.jpg

I would more than likely be leaving the seat tube weld intact here

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Never considered a thread could get nuked because of a rule infraction but that it could make somebody not be able to enter the voting or win with something that didn't fit the rules?

I think separating the scratch builders from us mere mortals makes sense though..:p

Just coming into this conversation a little late, but actually @Smoopy's comments in the past were part of the reasons those rules were decided upon...

There had been many comments that there was too many "Walmart" or "box store" bikes in the past build offs and some older members wanted to see more vintage stuff. Hence the rules set up the way they were.

As I have been unwell, I wasn't here to explain that, so sorry about that, but @Rat Rod has fixed the issue and we can all move on.

:113:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back