??????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so some of you have throwin some names into the hat.
Piggyback (mine)
Arc Angel (carl)
Humpty (kingfish)
Joan of Arc(Glenn)
Curveball(Glenn)
Lets have some fun and throw a few more in.
I will send a prize to the winner of the name I choose.
ARCHRIVAL

Hump Day

5c9122918ed8a73709388ab0b146cbf5c8e50064_hq.jpg

Instead of just a like it button,we should have a smiley crack up button. A thumbs up is soooo past...:grin:
Quite a few funny names.
Looks I have to reprint the frame out again.
It rained on my board and washed it away...
I have found all the parts,and one name is sticking out.

Great find on this old bike design. I know I never seen one. Along with most of us . I like its kind of a funny but cool also . I guess it never caught on .
There for the name that comes to me may not be an obvious choice. But then again this isnโ€™t exactly and obviously choice of a bike .
Iโ€™m calling it the
Funny Bone [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Act
Great find on this old bike design. I know I never seen one. Along with most of us . I like its kind of a funny but cool also . I guess it never caught on .
There for the name that comes to me may not be an obvious choice. But then again this isnโ€™t exactly and obviously choice of a bike .
Iโ€™m calling it the
Funny Bone [emoji12]

I was sleeping on this design and scratching my head how it would work.
Something tells me there was to many moving parts and the bike was not stable. We will see how stable it is when I get started.

Will start to bend the pipes today. I was able to salvage the print out in the end.
I like 3 names.
1. Quasimodo
2. Archrival
3. Funny Bones
Arc Angel was in front until Quasimodo came around the turn,followed by Archrival.Then out of nowhere Funny Bones jumped into 3rd place. Arc Angel came out too strong leading the way,but has slowed down to 4th position.

I have a choice to either keep the authentic look of 1800's or make a modern style version...Old or new?:39:

Dose the wining name get to keep the bike when you have finished fabricating this master piece [emoji848]

Funk, I love your 'play by play'. It reminds me of this old Spike Jones bit from the radio days.....not sure if you are familiar with this kind of stuff or not. The horse race (which reminds me of your description) starts at 1:10 of the youtube recording.

@OddJob reminds me of the old radio days. When the grandpa had that radio on all day.

I will be bending the top bar like the green bar
And will decide if I will make a short bar(blue) or a stem to seat bar(purple).
And fine bars welded in(orange).
If this bike only had cables there it ment the whole bike was either built with bolts and moved or it was welded in one spot or 2.
I have a feeling this was a one off,prototype and thats why we know nothing about it...And it did not last long.
f1008ab848eb9da2a8d9ee1555c49bec--old-bicycle-old-bikes - Copy.jpg

98F76E38-BE93-418B-9C8F-BB5BA7BCAD56.jpeg
Reminds me now of the Pi cycle e-bike. I suppose the arch would support/equalize the various frame forces, but they used a much thicker tube, whether for the batteries or structure. Also not a long term success.

SkyknightJohn seems like they might have found the same pic as me...

So have been doing some more research. This would be classified as a cross-frame bicycle. So made between 1887-1890( I think more towards 1890 because of the tires). Before the diamond frame.

Manufacturers had decided that struts and stays were needed to strengthen frames after 1896. Chain-stays, seat stays and down-stays were added over the next few years to help triangulate the frames. By 1890, extra bracing had created triangulated and diamond frames for maximum strength.
The other important factor in this early era of bicycle design was tube diameter. Over the next ten years it was increasingly better-produced and lighter. From 100 thou in 1886, tube was thinned down to around 60 thou by 1896.
Helical tubing was patented in 1892, which meant that very much thinner tube could now be used.
Found a closeup of the rods and how they were attched to the rear stays. So maybe the bike did not pivot/spring at all.
img257084d19ea931fa8f421fc87870bdc8.jpg

Dig that FAT chain and cogs...

Carl.
(woohoo I can use ArcAngel on a future build!)

Last edited:
I think there is some fine cables.pic is scketchy but you can see something across his leggings. I marked with a arrow,the x is where it pivots and the single arrow points to a small spring.View attachment 68586

Looks like top tube might have been patterned after a penny farthing ordinary frame. Rather cool concept, unique and weird. I like it.

Its like a reverse chain set up... The chainset has rollers... and not teeth.

Today I started bending...
27605613_10155496721919811_1890942297_o.jpg

And looking for more scrap metal... I need to find a stem,the one for the seat tube is perfect,but it's the only long scrap bit that I have...:39:
Looking around measuring all the tubes on donar bikes...
27537698_10155496721944811_2142243373_o.jpg
Dug this old rusty fork out in my backyard,I know the rest of the bike must be somewhere... Just using it as a looksee.

Will start to bend the pipes today. I was able to salvage the print out in the end.
I like 3 names.
1. Quasimodo
2. Archrival
3. Funny Bones
Arc Angel was in front until Quasimodo came around the turn,followed by Archrival.Then out of nowhere Funny Bones jumped into 3rd place. Arc Angel came out too strong leading the way,but has slowed down to 4th position.

I have a choice to either keep the authentic look of 1800's or make a modern style version...Old or new?:39:

How about Quasimoto?

Latest posts

Back