The anti-klunk? (Show us your urban bombers!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well after seeing this thread and seeing soem of the cool builds i decided to try and build one of these urban bombers out of a junk next powerclimber the bike being relatively complete is pretty much turd status( would say rolling turd but it don't roll somethings seized up) i was going to scrap it but now i am going to build one of these urban bombers out of it thanks for the idea guys i will post it when it is done

Thanks bud..Yeah, giving it a more 70's vibe..got some side pipes, spoiler, & visor I gotta get installed..come on spring!!
View attachment 17438
always loved that van i wish you guys were closer to me have you guys ever come as far as Kansas? im on the Kansas/OK border let me know if you guys ever come to either id love to see this van in person as well as all your amazing builds

Does my converted MTB count?
mid-90s Diamondback Outlook. Kept the original wheelset, converted to a single chainring. Now it's a 1x6 street cruiser.
a65819131ba898f9c393b3f1cc0ab379.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my Anti-Klunk. My '95 Sunn Vertik, lovingly restored and converted to 22lbs of single-speedmachine.
The 1.35" Schwalbe Kojac slicks are super fast, and surprisingly grippy. But they're not the best for jumping curbs, and the ride is quite hard on cobblestones and such, so I'll be replacing them with the 2" version for nex years season. I'm also thinking adding a set of purple riser bars, and a rear derailleur for a 3-speed setup since I hav to run a chain tensioner anyway with the vertical drops. Also, it would be nice to have one or two lower gears the the 42-12 I have on it now, for when I'm not in a rush.

Didn't think Urban Bomber was an actual thing, but I'm glad it is! I have a Genesis GS 29" MTB that I use as an Urban bomber. I'm considering replacing the front Shock fork for a standard fork, I have a pair of Kenda Kwick Nine Sports which ride nice and smooth, I have replace the stock triple crank with a Shimano Tourney 28-38-48 175mm triple, replaced the stock threadless stem with an adjustable riser stem, currently have a moustache handler temporarily but might buy either a straight bar with a bit of rise or some hadlebars with a more urban feel to them. replaced the BB with a sealed BB set as well as replacing the stock Pedals for platform pedals due to my wide feet.

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon giving my '95 Sunn the old Autosol and toothbrush treatment. It's a tedious job for sure, and my fingers hurt like heck now, but the result is worth it
smile.png

When you converted your rig into a single speed, did you any major changes to your rear part of your frame like bending the chainsatys in or getting a different hub ?

When you converted your rig into a single speed, did you any major changes to your rear part of your frame like bending the chainsatys in or getting a different hub ?

I just replaced the cassette + derailleur with a single speed conversion kit (a single cog, a bunch of spacers, and a chain tensioner).

Right now I'm using the wheelset I got with the On One Inbred I also posted (the frame is too large for me, so I'll be selling it and keeping most of the components for other projects), which has a 16t freewheel on the rear. The 16t fit the chain length almost perfectly, allowing me to get rid of the chain tensioner.

Here's my Anti-Klunk. My '95 Sunn Vertik, lovingly restored and converted to 22lbs of single-speedmachine.
The 1.35" Schwalbe Kojac slicks are super fast, and surprisingly grippy. But they're not the best for jumping curbs, and the ride is quite hard on cobblestones and such, so I'll be replacing them with the 2" version for nex years season. I'm also thinking adding a set of purple riser bars, and a rear derailleur for a 3-speed setup since I hav to run a chain tensioner anyway with the vertical drops. Also, it would be nice to have one or two lower gears the the 42-12 I have on it now, for when I'm not in a rush.

Was wondering if you still have this ride and have you done your conversion as far as your drivetrain? Since you're going to add a rear derrailluer why not turn it into a 5 speed street cruiser? Given if you find a 5 speed freewheel in good shape :3

Was wondering if you still have this ride and have you done your conversion as far as your drivetrain? Since you're going to add a rear derrailluer why not turn it into a 5 speed street cruiser? Given if you find a 5 speed freewheel in good shape :3

Still have the bike, haven't done the convertion yet. I've decided to go with a 7 speed cassette, since that's what will fit on the rear hub without any mods, meaning I can go with whichever standard parts I can find cheap.

The Frankengoose

I recently inherited my grand daughter’s wrecked Mongoose 21 speed Walmart full suspension ledge 2.1 MTB … it came complete with the rear derailleur wrapped into the mangled spokes after a Walmart misadjusted derailleur overshift, and a blown rear tire. The dropout and hanger were also bent, so I thought, screw it, take it to the dump and be rid of it. (That model bike was on sale at Walmart for $57, so that tells you all you need to know about the quality of the thing) So I stripped it down for an easy fit into the scrap metal dumpster, but when I looked at the frame, it was actually kinda nice; aluminum and nice enough for a project bike (like I needed another bike!). So, I kept the frame after cold setting the dropout and hanger by eye, and tossed everything else, lightly sanded and repainted my future clunker with army green flat camo paint and some new decals for the bike’s new role as my neighborhood beer cruiser. I decided to try a single speed conversion and go with replacement parts from my spare parts bin and some eBay finds. Wheel master QR wheels from eBay with double wall rims, cream colored Fat Frank tires, a used eBay crankset, a headset and sealed bearing bottom bracket to replace the never been greased near frozen stock crapola setups, some barefoot friendly pedals, and we are getting somewhere. Swapped out the rear shock with a better one, a DNM 165x35mm. 38 chainring x 18 single speed rear originally planned for gearing, but after pondering my hilly neighborhood, I opted for a 3 speed rear setup with a few more cogs and spacers on the freehub body.. 12, 16, 18t spaced to the outside end of the hub, with a 38t chain ring, and an oldie but goodie rebuilt 1972 vintage Campagnolo NR derailleur to handle the short throw over 3 cogs. replaced one travel adjustment screw with a longer one so I could get the inside limit set on the derailleur for only 3 cogs. An inexpensive handlebar mounted friction type thumb shifter by Falcon handles the shifting job nicely. A massive vintage brass squeeze bulb horn from Garret Wade mounted on the handlebar adds some neighborhood panache. A parts bin alloy seat post and a well used Selle Royal Respiro Moderate saddle with a repaired hole in the seat cover, and an Origin 8 Pro Fit ATB 90mm quill type stem that accepts a 31.8mm bar completed the cockpit.goose.jpg odb02.jpg odb04.jpg odb05.jpg odb06.jpg odb07.jpg odb10.jpg goose.jpg odb02.jpg odb04.jpg odb05.jpg odb06.jpg odb07.jpg odb10.jpg

It’s not going to be fast, but for fun hops around the back streets and to the beer store, it will be fine. Below is a pre-crash image, and then what it looks like now.

Pretty much how all of my bikes are geared towards, with on road performance in mind. I call them street fighters. Currently have a Schwinn High Sierra. In the first pic is before I changed the cockpit, it had worn out busted shifters, I had some reserved for a 83 Schwinn Probe and decided to swap the whole bar and stem combo I had saved from my old 83 Lotus Pegasus. Too bad regular bars won't fit it. More details on my IG about it. Had some nice levers to swap too. I thought the grips had at some point came off a walker, but saw another one IG with the same grips.
IMG_20180821_123727668.jpg
IMG_20180910_233154247.jpg
IMG_20180910_233154247.jpg
IMG_20180904_065827365.jpg

Oh yeah, I had changed the tires too. The ones in those pics were pretty good with that walmart bmx tread pattern, but I put on some flame treaded tires I had kept from my old huffy cranbrook that are more nylon than rubber, wider, a bit taller, and the bike got a bit faster and handles far better.

Latest posts

Back