Fixed Gears Are Dumb! The Story Of My 1981 Voyageur

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
For my first few years in the bicycle hobby that’s exactly how I felt. Why on earth would someone choose to not have the ability to coast?? It sounded completely mad to me, no way would I ever get one of those things. Besides, new bicycles and especially diamond frames did not appeal to me in the slightest.
The first crack in my armor came at a bicycle event in downtown Phoenix one spring (or autumn?) night, Pedal Craft. Bicycle related art, free New Belgium beer, and of course lots of people on bikes. There was a brand new fixed gear bike being raffled off from a local company, State Bicycle https://www.statebicycle.com Something about the clean style of that bike suddenly made me reconsider new diamond frame bikes. That thing looked really good, not like any of the others I’d seen. The seed had been planted. Subsequently, an internet search led me to Sheldon Brown’s page about fixed gear bikes http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html The key words that resonated with me were simple and pure. That’s all I needed to hear, I had to have one! I decided that the State Bicycle Contender, then top of their line, was the one I wanted. Custom ordered in all black. Black everything. Since I had just quit my job and returned to school, at almost $700 it would have to wait. I probably sat on the dream for at least a year when my luck substantially changed... I made a bunch of money flipping some cars, and I got a part time gig at a bike shop. But still, nearly $700 was a tough pill to swallow, until my boss at the bike shop told me he just became a State Bicycle dealer! I didn’t hesitate, I made the very next call from our shop and $382 later my order was placed. A week or two later, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I had my bike. I should mention that by this point I had never rode a fixed gear bike, I just knew that it was for me :) After a quick test ride at State’s parking lot, I brought her home and immediately ripped off the safety stickers and wheel reflectors, and jumped on!
6339732A-44D2-4CEC-9B3D-FB38245ABBFB.jpeg

The bike was good, but of course I can’t leave anything alone. The brakes were the next thing to come off. Working at the bike shop gave me access to parts at 50% off, so my first upgrade was a pair of lightweight folding bead 28mm tires to replace the 23mm’s. HUGE difference. The ride quality was increased dramatically, I felt like it allowed me to ride faster since I could soak up the bumps better. Then I swapped the rear cog from a 16t to a 17t to get my gearing back to where it was, and not wear out my rear tire in one spot, even though at this point I hadn’t figured out how to skid yet :bigsmile: Eventually I took a link out of the chain to tuck the rear tire way under the saddle. Then swapped the bullhorns for some risers, removed the extra shims from the headset and cut the steerer down, and took the extra un-needed length out of the seat post to add lightness, and a bottle opener to the downtube to put some back. It was a great bike!
C48A32A9-1F9F-4121-A5E6-D925EB84C2E8.jpeg

96F167DD-20D0-4C0B-BFC6-D41B24B97957.jpeg
We moved to Seattle 3 years ago today, and of course it was one of the bikes that came with us. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to stay mine for long...

Part 2 coming soon...

Last edited:
So we made the move from Phoenix to Seattle in April 2015. I realized that I HAD to reinstall my front brake, riding fixed around these hills without one is an absolute death wish.
All was great until December when some f#@ers broke into the “secure” bike storage room at our apartment and stole a handful of bikes, and of course mine was one of them...
Since it was my commuter bike, it needed to be replaced. This time I decided to convert an old 10/12 speed into a fixed gear, something that crossed my mind the first time around but I really didn’t have the knowledge or experience with fixed gears to do it then. Now I figured was the time! My weakness is old Schwinn’s in original paint black, and I remembered something about a Le Tour, so I started there and found a black ‘81 Super Le Tour on eBay that I certainly paid too much for, but at least it set the wheels in motion.
Upon arrival (at the apartment!) I immediately stripped it down and commenced the rebuild. I was familiar with State Bicycle parts, so I ordered a black flip flop wheelset with a 14t cog, polished riser bars and a black saddle. I retained the original 39t inner chain ring, removed the outer chain ring and put a BBG bash guard in its place and found some black Sugino crank bolt cover thingys. Pedals were upgraded from the alloy/steel Kyokuto’s to 100% alloy. I geeked out on the chain a little bit :) The original SR stem and seat post received black paint detail, as did the original Super Maxy crankset. I put a pair of Surly Hurdy Gurdy’s on out back and of course paint detailed them as well. I had some 32mm white tires lying around so I thought I’d give them a try, and this was the result...
B2F9471D-2557-4C2B-A18B-D30FB01A214D.jpeg

64FE34C1-3B2C-47BA-88F8-B2081969CA93.jpeg

I rode it exactly one time in this guise. It was fine, I guess, but it didn’t have the feel I was going for. So I tore it back down for version 2.0...

Last edited:
Ok, so by now it’s February 25th, the Super Le Tour got one ride but it didn’t do it for me. The design “worked”, but it didn’t have the attitude that I was going for. I needed it to be darker, but more importantly I needed a frame with shorter chainstays. Having that rear wheel tucked up under the saddle right up to the seat post is critical for the look of a fixed gear. On the SLT, even with the hub all the way forward in the drop outs it wasn’t even close to being right, it looked like a converted 12 speed and I couldn’t have that. Anyway, something jogged my memory about a Schwinn with a chrome/polished rear triangle that I really liked so I hit the ‘net and started searching for it. I didn’t have to look far because in the 1981 Schwinn catalog... https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1981.html
... right above the SLT was the Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, and it had that cool chrome triangle I remembered seeing.
5D1F9A72-CAE9-4925-8D49-88B6C0272B4F.jpeg

And the SLT for reference, you can see the distance from the tire to the seat post is longer, 1 1/8” longer to be precise.
88C23A6A-C6F2-4471-9E88-AD9DD7842DCE.jpeg

It also used gold as an accent colour which I found to be much more pleasing to my eye than white. But yeah, that all seemed well and good, but I was still having a hard time justifying buying another bike and starting the process over all in the name of aesthetics. Until I saw the Voyageur frame was chromoly, a whole whopping pound lighter than the SLT! That was it, I was sold and on the hunt. With my impatience it didn’t take long for me to find a Voyageur on eBay again, that I’m sure I paid too much for, yet again.
1D92376B-0579-485A-8515-33702D8B9F1C.jpeg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Man that's a mouth watering Schwinn. Remember dreaming about those from the pics in the Schwinn catalog. Didn't realize the frames on those were so different. There was a Superior back then too but can't remember where that one fit in the lineup.

What's it like the first time on a fixed gear? Something I've never wanted to try very bad but have been curious about.

Man that's a sweet Voyageur. Interested to see what you do with it.

What's it like the first time on a fixed gear? Something I've never wanted to try very bad but have been curious about.

The first couple weeks are interesting. You never realize how much you coast on a normal bike until you hop on a fixed gear. You'll inevitably forget for a moment and try to relax only to get nearly bucked off the saddle :) Once you get used to it though, there's nothing quite like it. You are always "on" when riding fixed, so going back to a coaster bike feels lazy. When you want to go you push on the pedals, and when you want to stop the pedals push you back- a lot harder than you're probably thinking. You work to go up a hill, and you don't have much of a choice but to pedal as fast as you possibly can going down. It's an incredibly visceral experience, it doesn't feel like you are riding the bike so much as you and the bike are one joined machine. It's not for everyone, but it is for me.

View attachment 75185 Don't care much for direct drive myself, but if I did, I'd run at least a rear brake.
:chicken:

My legs are the rear brake, so an additional rear brake is unnecessary. I run a front “emergency” brake, meaning I only use it if I absolutely have to.

A friend and I did a little fixed ride yesterday. It was EPIC. My bike performed flawlessly.
CE5171DE-86DF-4FC9-93F5-5FA228E1D241.png

I like the SLT! Super sharp! It would be perfect if it had a coaster brake hub laced in the rear. ( I have never tried fixed gears either...its hilly here too.)

Ok, so I don’t have any pics left of the Voyageur build process, but it went pretty quickly. I used the original Super Maxy crank from the Voyageur, and detailed it. The Voyageur came with a 40t inner ring and the SLT with a 39t, I elected to use the 39t for a slightly more favourable gear ratio (2.78 vs 2.85). I also used the detailed fluted seat post from the SLT as I found it to be much more attractive as well as its SR stem because it sat further down in the headset than the one from the Voyageur. I bought a gold chain for just two male links to give my chain some style (the rest would prove useful later...). Hand made in Brooklyn Hold Fast pedal straps in black with red stitching (really nice product). I had a pair of 700-32 Michelin Pilot Sport tires that were originally slated for my State Bike, but they didn’t quite fit there. They had just enough room here to work, but first I removed the stupid reflective stripes for a cleaner look.
FFBA13CD-CB4A-4FA5-B5BB-E807AC0CA517.jpeg

0678C4EC-E4A0-48F2-B6D5-36208294DD88.jpeg

5BCC225B-4B77-409F-B972-6F8D2A86E7E4.jpeg

It got a few tweaks after put into service, but that was the main build.

Attachments

• 43759CF9-3780-4CDB-BDF6-3218560B91BA.jpeg
    43759CF9-3780-4CDB-BDF6-3218560B91BA.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 228
  • E7E7E0B9-BE3F-4703-912B-D7FC1C21CEE5.jpeg
    E7E7E0B9-BE3F-4703-912B-D7FC1C21CEE5.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
My legs are the rear brake, so an additional rear brake is unnecessary. I run a front “emergency” brake, meaning I only use it if I absolutely have to.

A friend and I did a little fixed ride yesterday. It was EPIC. My bike performed flawlessly.
View attachment 75225
That looks like a decent ride. I've had a fixie for a few years now and really enjoy riding it, but not in traffic. My biggest ride to date is about 50km, I didn't think I could ride fixed for a distance like that, but it wasn't that bad.

I too run a front brake, surprised how much back pressure is needed to stop!

That looks like a decent ride. I've had a fixie for a few years now and really enjoy riding it, but not in traffic. My biggest ride to date is about 50km, I didn't think I could ride fixed for a distance like that, but it wasn't that bad.

I too run a front brake, surprised how much back pressure is needed to stop!

It was a good ride. I have to admit I didn't end up doing the full loop because my wife met up with us sometime after we hit the mainland, so I cheated and got a ride home :) We still rode about 30m/52km though.

Just a touch of pressure on the front brake makes it a lot easier to lock up the rear. Or you can do a little hop and take weight off the rear tire and, voila, insta skids :) I'll be lucky if I make it through this season on this set of rubber.

I made a fixed gear out of a Sears&Roebuck I had. I thought they were pretty dope, too, I also almost killed myself on a hill. Eff them, I'd rather coast.

There’s much more to this story left to tell, but I made a few big upgrades this week that I’d like to share.
First, the Michelin’s were completely toast. I found out that Continental made Gatorskins in a folding 700x32, so I ordered up a pair. They are a little smaller than the Michelin’s, so they actually fit MUCH better on my bike. I don’t even have to deflate them to install, what a treat! They are also lighter and the colors play quite well with my theme.
8449D311-A7BE-4958-B14D-E9B0518D3F47.jpeg

I was digging through a parts bin the other day and stumbled across some Crank Brothers eggbeater clipless pedals that were given to me years ago. Totally forgot I had them. Right about this time I discovered DZR- clip in cycling shoes that look like normal shoes for regular human beings. I got some cheap examples to try out.
https://dzrshoes.com/products/mamba?variant=1115528348
So, I ditched the Hold Fast pedal straps (actually handed them down to another bike). They allowed for too much slop, and they just can’t hold your foot securely enough for the long term. This is my first foray into clip less pedals and it's really fun... and really terrifying at times :)

Ohh, I guess I also should mention that over the winter I upgraded to a Brooks B15. Lovely saddle that is.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about your fixed-gear adventure. I live in a hilly area, and I'm pushing 70 years of age, so I will admire the pure, simple qualities of fixies vicariously. You really nailed it with your Schwinn.

700c bike with modern coaster brake look as pure and simple as fixie while offering you way to coast downhill and good reliable brake when needed.
I used fixie couple times but its not my thing. 25 years ago as bike couriers we used bikes like that - fixies and single speeds that looks like piece of junk as no one ever tried to steal it... (just watch for rubbish collectors...), even beautifully painted and customised fixie was safe to leave unlocked in busy city in middle 90's... now ?... people will steal it just because its fixie... I know many people that use fixie cause its part of subculture they are trying to get on, people who think its uncomfortable, people that struggling to ride it... but they will ride it because they have to... they are hipsters they have to use fixie, drink coffee from starbucks etc...

Thanks(?) freederix. I have had, and still have plenty of vintage bikes with coaster brakes. Including the 1960 Jaguar in my avatar with a Bendix 2 speed kickback. I can stop my fixed gear just as quickly as any of my CB bikes, and even faster in an emergency if I need to use my front brake. It's a very involved experience, and I like it. No, I love it. Did you know that not everyone who rides fixed is a messenger/hipster? It's true. If you don't like it, ignore.

Anyway, I've not yet done a week on clipless pedals and wow, what a massive difference that made. It was a little intimidating at first, but I've become used to them very quickly. There's absolutely no going back to straps, power transfer is unbelievable with this setup! I can climb hills like nothing and stop soooo much better than I could before. The pedals and new tires took a lot of weight off the bike, so it has me thinking about future upgrades. The wheels look cool, but they aren't as light as they look, and the bearings aren't the best. So I see a proper wheel set coming eventually, and after that I think I'll raise my 39/14 gear ratio to a 44/15 giving me four more gear inches.

This thread needs more pictures.
85E02EF8-5C38-4639-81DB-5C078567D5B5.jpeg

My favourite subtle detail is the colour coordinated chain.
30795DD9-016B-4C21-8C64-FE5AC1BFB033.jpeg

My bike is filthy! And scratched, imperfect, etc. Perfect for me though.
8C09F8D2-02C9-48C2-9940-7D87C6772E43.jpeg

929AB013-6BDD-4A3A-B231-6C524225395C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back