BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right about that.
But there are times when a butthead or 4 send a pm telling you how stupid you are, or how their way is best, or this or that.

Usually the camaraderie here is amazing, but there are some a holes that can break a spoke.

Apologies for the negativity on your thread, maybe I'll join in this year and show a big middle finger high in the air.

Now GTB.

Don't sweat the small stuff brother. Just have fun building what makes you happy. They are just kids bikes we are playing with. Build a cool bike and have fun.

Don't sweat the small stuff brother. Just have fun building what makes you happy. They are just kids bikes we are playing with. Build a cool bike and have fun.
Cantankerous is no way to go through life, though some choose it. Fun comes in many flavors, enjoy your favorite flavors.

It's alaways cool when you get to meet online bike friends face to face. Mark Allard was in Savannah, so @Dr. Tankenstein and I went for a bike ride with him after work today.

20200505_182239.jpg

It was a good excuse for me to pull out VerBoten and ride it for the first time in a couple of years. It cleaned up well. While we were down on the river a container ship sailed in. For those of you that may not know it, Savannah is the 4th largest container port in the USA.

20200505_183739.jpg
20200505_184030.jpg
20200505_184157.jpg

I also took the opportunity to get some Build Off stable pics. SteamRoller BO15, VerBoten BO10, and Western Sizzler BO14.

20200505_172121.jpg
20200505_172159.jpg
20200505_172342.jpg

It's alaways cool when you get to meet online bike friends face to face. Mark Allard was in Savannah, so @Dr. Tankenstein and I went for a bike ride with him after work today.

View attachment 119078

It was a good excuse for me to pull out VerBoten and ride it for the first time in a couple of years. It cleaned up well. While we were down on the river a container ship sailed in. For those of you that may not know it, Savannah is the 4th largest container port in the USA.

View attachment 119113View attachment 119114View attachment 119115

I also took the opportunity to get some Build Off stable pics. SteamRoller BO15, VerBoten BO10, and Western Sizzler BO14.

View attachment 119109View attachment 119110View attachment 119111

Looks like the old Riverwalk was nice and quiet for ya! I was just across the river on Hutchinson riding at the old race track

View attachment 119078

There's nothing like a ride around Savannah, regardless of what your riding.

Ok, so looking at your pics of VerBoten and your current build I gotta ask: what's a Twin Bar like to ride? Is there a lot of flex without a seat tube? Does it feel significantly different from conventional bikes from that time period?

Ok, so looking at your pics of VerBoten and your current build I gotta ask: what's a Twin Bar like to ride? Is there a lot of flex without a seat tube? Does it feel significantly different from conventional bikes from that time period?
I don't know about him, but my personal experience is that they're a little longer than most bikes of the period, and noticably heavier. I don't know that they feel much more noodly than most other balloon tire bikes, though.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

VerBoten rides very nice. I've never really felt any springiness to the frame. I'm sure it must have more flex to it though without a seattube. It doesn't feel any different from other bikes when riding it.

I don't know about him, but my personal experience is that they're a little longer than most bikes of the period, and noticably heavier. I don't know that they feel much more noodly than most other balloon tire bikes, though.

I think the frame may be a little longer. I can't remember if I ever placed one side by side with a regular bike to compare the geometry. I'll have to do that soon to see. I wouldn't say that the frame is any heavier than most other vintage steel bikes. Now, once you start adding on all of the tanks, racks, shrouds and other Elgin Twin doodads, then it could very well top out heavier.

View attachment 119078

It was an absolutely beautiful day for a ride and so great to meet Mark after ‘knowing’ him for years online.
I’m relatively new to living in Savannah, but yeah, those ships just stop me in my tracks with their enormity.
Kinda puts things in perspective at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VerBoten rides very nice. I've never really felt any springiness to the frame. I'm sure it must have more flex to it though without a seattube. It doesn't feel any different from other bikes when riding it.

I think the frame may be a little longer. I can't remember if I ever placed one side by side with a regular bike to compare the geometry. I'll have to do that soon to see. I wouldn't say that the frame is any heavier than most other vintage steel bikes. Now, once you start adding on all of the tanks, racks, shrouds and other Elgin Twin doodads, then it could very well top out heavier.

‘regular bike’?
Do you even own one of those?
Hahahahaha!

‘regular bike’?
Do you even own one of those?
Hahahahaha!

Probably not!!!! :D

Gotta love how much build off activity is going on. I went looking for my thread and found out I was a Page 2 slacker!!!! Please don't tell @Jake Sensi !!!!!
SteamRoller update coming shortly.

Been busy with other stuff this week, but I got back to staring at SteamRoller today.

Went out to the shop today and thought I would be cutting the mini racer to make the cafe fender.

HOWERVER...

There is one idea that I have wanted to try with a Higgins rack for a long time, so I decided to mock it up before playing with the cafe idea.

It was inspired by the rear rack of the first RRB Auction Bike "Rust Rocket DeLuxe".

See how the tire is higher than the rack? I can't find a good pic of the actual bike right now.

1589053916392.png

So, anyway, I tried out the placement of the Higgins rack.
I wanted to make sure I liked the idea before cutting a perfectly good rack.

20200509_113704.jpg
20200509_113715.jpg
20200509_120630.jpg
20200509_121135.jpg
20200509_121718.jpg
20200509_121835.jpg
20200509_121909.jpg

Been busy with other stuff this week, but I got back to staring at SteamRoller today.

Went out to the shop today and thought I would be cutting the mini racer to make the cafe fender.

HOWERVER...

There is one idea that I have wanted to try with a Higgins rack for a long time, so I decided to mock it up before playing with the cafe idea.

It was inspired by the rear rack of the first RRB Auction Bike "Rust Rocket DeLuxe".

See how the tire is higher than the rack? I can't find a good pic of the actual bike right now.

View attachment 119662

So, anyway, I tried out the placement of the Higgins rack.
I wanted to make sure I liked the idea before cutting a perfectly good rack.

View attachment 119665View attachment 119666View attachment 119667View attachment 119668View attachment 119669View attachment 119670View attachment 119671
Go for it.

Latest posts

Back