BO15 Blue Bomber Curbhopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, life got interesting, and the project got delayed, but I’m back at it; here’s some update:

Thanks to @OddJob for introducing me to METALCAST :rockout: paint. This is the annodized blue.

Still waiting on a sunny day for best pics. It looks way better in direct sunlight. I was outta town and missed the sunny days. :(

932313D9-68CF-4451-97BA-B52C32D7629D.jpeg
EFAC718D-29FA-4C30-8A65-895C824DB8F0.jpeg
9924AA48-7C36-4C41-BF8E-C9E583A34351.jpeg
EE35AD0B-EFF5-4B21-9E72-27783AD6BBA4.jpeg

It may be a touch deeper blue than intended. I put a tack layer on, then a wet layer. Later, I noticed I missed an entire section of the underside of the top tube. With a new can of paint, I got that area and wetted the rest again. Had the first wet layer been complete I think the color would be closer to what I think of as anodized. Still happy with it. You can see the brush strokes of the metal underneath, and certain angles has a foil or candy appearance. Not a usual color.

Wet sanded then clear coated for protection of this rumored brittle paint.

So, life got interesting, and the project got delayed, but I’m back at it; here’s some update:

Thanks to @OddJob for introducing me to METALCAST :rockout: paint. This is the annodized blue.

Still waiting on a sunny day for best pics. It looks way better in direct sunlight. I was outta town and missed the sunny days. :(

View attachment 124180View attachment 124181View attachment 124182View attachment 124183
It may be a touch deeper blue than intended. I put a tack layer on, then a wet layer. Later, I noticed I missed an entire section of the underside of the top tube. With a new can of paint, I got that area and wetted the rest again. Had the first wet layer been complete I think the color would be closer to what I think of as anodized. Still happy with it. You can see the brush strokes of the metal underneath, and certain angles has a foil or candy appearance. Not a usual color.

Where does one acquire such paint?

Where does one acquire such paint?
Autoparts stores. I found it both at PepBoys and Advanded Auto Parts. I think O’Reilly’s and Autozone also carry it. Check their websites & you should be able to see their inventory, as when I needed a second can and the first store was out.

It took me longer to pose that last question and post it and the read and thumbs up your reply than it did to actually do my own research... doh!
5BCE8761-F432-4D49-97C6-E0F6C85D7E65.png

ha ha, that happens. FWIW it was only $10 in person. It looks better in person as well than any of the photos or videos I watched. Has to be a shiny surface to start. Or chrome base.

View attachment 124180View attachment 124181View attachment 124182View attachment 124183

That color is popping!!!

Take a look at @OddJob ’s build:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rats-gass-left-hanging-pg-15.110959/page-12
82326359_197863891320055_4932587283086835712_n.jpg

I think he went right over chrome. The instructions and vids I watched suggested putting it over shiny metal, chrome paint, mettalic paint, or their base coat.
That's correct, SK John. Since the Metalcast is transparent, it gets it's shine from the undercoat, whether it's chrome or a metallic paint or surface. My panel was painted right over the galvanized surface.

I use a Adhesion Promoter, before I lay down the Metalcast. This helps the relatively thin paint to stick to the slippery surface. Once you have a couple light coats of the Metalcast on, the last coat is a little heavier to get the depth of color you want.

It comes in a variety of colors, and a 'smoked' or 'black' chrome tint, which is what I first experimented with on RaTsberry Buffet last Fall in the Muscle Bike BO.
74324004_2383468731970066_4136431488939851776_n.jpg

Metalcast is great stuff. I used that blue on Western Sizzler last year.
Looks killer on your bike!

That paint just shines!!!!!

Fun day of water main repair. Been our little ‘Water Feature’ for nearly three weeks. Shoulda finished the bike and taken my obligatory fountain photo! Luckily, it’s on the city’s side.
4A4319D1-ADE9-4296-AAC5-E0EADFC1E0D3.jpeg

Ran some cables and small stuff.
Hello Claris
F00F114C-9218-495B-AD45-6085B6C59195.jpeg

Ergon grips, Avid levers, & Friction shifters!
4BCC71C4-B58A-416F-A265-3F6AB3E4A888.jpeg

A city bike needs a mirror.
5EA2A20E-FD4B-4EB8-AF81-2421C8F04874.jpeg

And a big honkin’ light.
3E4CDB6A-93FA-41FA-9592-BC78B4B11B15.jpeg

Enough of my
build, let’s go look at the cool bikes! ;)

Nice snug fit on that rear tire, dig it~! That paint is sweet. This is coming together quickly!

Front brake is working, just needs some finesse, rear derailleur- no problem, front derailleur... hmmm.

The Claris front to match the rear doesn’t extend out far enough for the largest chainring. Maybe I ordered a road or compact derailleur, or it wants a fat aluminum seattube that would move it out another 5-7mm. (Mine is 28.6)

So, I cleaned up the original Altus and slapped it on. But no joy! I played with the limit screws, I used the same size chainrings, used the same BB & spindle... I just can’t physically move the derailleur out enough to shift to the big chainring.

Gotta let this problem sit overnight and think on it (your suggestions welcome,) and attack it tomorrow.
DA4A11C5-3531-4D11-AAD8-61B403500050.jpeg

Latest posts

Back