BO15 Splinter (or how I learned to love a LOT of sanding)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will you be able to remove the panel that covers the chain?

I'm also curious as to your use of ABS for guides, those are some harsh angles to subject the ABS to. I doubt if the guides on the bikes that use these are subjected to such angles.

I see plenty of room for a couple of jockey wheels in the front, if you change a couple of angles on the chain you would only need two in the front.

View attachment 126793

I won't be able to open it up like you see in the photo. The layer that goes above it will cover less in the center of the bike, so I need to leave enough room to make sure it isn't exposed.

The channel will actually be fully open though. Guides for the top chain will be along the wood and guides for the bottom chain being between both chains, but not down the entire length of the bike. I ended up going with HDPE plastic, its low friction and has high abrasion resistance. I'll have photos of this solution soon.

How wide? Looks to be around 7.25" at the widest point
20200628_093933.jpg

Just have two more layers to cut, should be done with that today or tomorrow
20200628_094000.jpg

Rear dropouts may give you some grief. That little bit of wood on the topside needs to support 1/2 the bike weight and most of yours. Unless you've sandwiched a steel plate in there I'd be critically thinking about it... Looks great though.

GC.

Rear dropouts may give you some grief. That little bit of wood on the topside needs to support 1/2 the bike weight and most of yours. Unless you've sandwiched a steel plate in there I'd be critically thinking about it... Looks great though.

GC.

Sandwiched aluminum plate, screwed through the wood on the top and the bottom.

What a beauty!
I wonder if that wood is gonna make the sound from the friction chain drive resonate?

Everyone's on edge. Waiting for the sanding to start.
Me too! Lol a bit of fine tuned cutting and gluing before I get to that though. I feel good about being here at the halfway point.
What a beauty!
I wonder if that wood is gonna make the sound from the friction chain drive resonate?
Thank you! I hope not, but I'll be ramping the plastic so it won't be too abrupt against the chain.

... ended up going with HDPE plastic, its low friction and has high abrasion resistance. I'll have photos of this solution soon.

HDPE is solid choice, I use it for idler wheels on my gas-bicycles' chains, it holds up great! Just whack 'em out with a holesaw, ready for a 1/4" axle.

Even just a stationary nosing cut from flat sheet would probably work, and be replaceable when it wears

Woodn't you want a mascot for your build?

1594732969734.png

Latest posts

Back