J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone knew if my Higgins would of had fork truss rods, headlight or rear rack and what they would look like. As far as I know this is a 1951??
IMG_0598.JPG

Could go either way...there were equipped/deluxe and unequipped bikes sold... quickest way you can tell is by looking for evidence of rack or tank having been mounted on it.

I looked at 1950 and 1951 sears catalog images, but all the big bikes drawings represent Murray built bikes...no Monark built like yours. Your's should have an aluminum tag riveted under the bottom bracket, it should have a model number. If you can match that model number to a sears catalog listing, you can determine the exact original model. Searching thecabe with the model number may get you results as well.

Cousin Vroom:
Nice bike! Looks like it's a Regal. The 1951 fall/winter catalog shows a probable match. Trussrods are shown and your bike has the bracket for them. Headlight is shown and it looks like your bike has hardware on the fender for mounting. No rear rack shown. Colors in description match except that catalog says that rims are maroon. Do your rims look original?
Have fun!
jch 1951 fw.jpg

Could go either way...there were equipped/deluxe and unequipped bikes sold... quickest way you can tell is by looking for evidence of rack or tank having been mounted on it.

I looked at 1950 and 1951 sears catalog images, but all the big bikes drawings represent Murray built bikes...no Monark built like yours. Your's should have an aluminum tag riveted under the bottom bracket, it should have a model number. If you can match that model number to a sears catalog listing, you can determine the exact original model. Searching thecabe with the model number may get you results as well.
Thanks RustyGold, it does have the tag on the BB so I will run the numbers but I don't think it had a rack or tank.

Cousin Vroom:
Nice bike! Looks like it's a Regal. The 1951 fall/winter catalog shows a probable match. Trussrods are shown and your bike has the bracket for them. Headlight is shown and it looks like your bike has hardware on the fender for mounting. No rear rack shown. Colors in description match except that catalog says that rims are maroon. Do your rims look original?
Have fun!
View attachment 145757
Thanks for the reply AndyA. It is a Regal and does have two holes on the fender for the headlight. I put some new style aluminum rims with the Nexus 3 speed to make it more rider friendly.

The 505 is Monark...the 273 doesn't look like a catalog number. Maybe only the primary supplier uses the catalog code, and auxiliary suppliers have there own model number?
Thanks, a Monark it is. Any idea what other bicycle brands of truss rods and headlight would fit?

Nice Bike!
slight hijack, but I have an Austrian JC Higgins step through. Got it as just the frame, fenders, and chain guard. Can anyone guess at the model and year ?
Thanks!

Attachments

• FD480E1F-9C62-464D-81C2-F9CA7609485E.jpeg
    FD480E1F-9C62-464D-81C2-F9CA7609485E.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 14D70FC1-184E-488C-A247-E02454414218.jpeg
    14D70FC1-184E-488C-A247-E02454414218.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 105
  • D242D24F-ABB7-4978-A923-CCBAE3BFBFD5.jpeg
    D242D24F-ABB7-4978-A923-CCBAE3BFBFD5.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 88
The Monark tag number list I have shows your number as 1948, between 429920 and 539000.

I haven't found any list for the Puch made in Austria JC Higgins, but they were made before 1963. Then they were all labeled Sears. Before WW2, JC Higgins was Elgin.

That's a Murray built bike in the drawing. But, if the model number under the description matches what's on your tag, that's how yours would have been equipped.
Ah, I see a difference between the photo and the catalog drawing that I didn't notice before. The catalog shows a Murray-style chain wheel. The photo shows a Monark-style chain wheel.

Ah, I see a difference between the photo and the catalog drawing that I didn't notice before. The catalog shows a Murray-style chain wheel. The photo shows a Monark-style chain wheel.
...and seat stays.

Looking at '48/'49 catalog images, still shows Murrays for all but the 24" model (shows a Monark), which still uses a 45xx catalog number which isn't in the same format as your Monark model number. Drawings show a delta rocket style headlight on the standard bikes, and (in '48 at least) if you had a headlight, you also had a tank as the unequipped model had neither.

Monark wasn't a big supplier for Sears. But, being also in Chicago at the time probably got them small runs to fill out production. I've seen several gray ladies' models, some with tanks. But the deluxe models were all made by Murray. 273 is the official model #, but those numbers were only significant to Sears. They're not a part of the catalog #s. ~Adam

Nice Bike!
slight hijack, but I have an Austrian JC Higgins step through. Got it as just the frame, fenders, and chain guard. Can anyone guess at the model and year ?
Thanks!
I took one apart that was blue. It originally had cottered cranks and a super tall steel stem.

I don't know the exact dates but Sears started selling the Austrian Lightweights under the JC Higgins name in the mid 50's and continued until the early 60's, maybe around 1962 when they dropped the Jc Higgins name. Then they sold them under the Sears brand name, and sometime in the mid 70's sold them under the Ted Williams name.

Nice Bike!
Thanks!

I think mine originally had the cottered cranks and JC Higgins chainring, but the guy I got it from took them off. I can’t complain, he gave me a decent deal and the fenders / chain guard.

I think mine originally had the cottered cranks and JC Higgins chainring, but the guy I got it from took them off. I can’t complain, he gave me a decent deal and the fenders / chain guard.
I have a JC Higgins crankset. It is pretty cool looking.

Latest posts

Back