Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have pets?
No, we had the best cat in the world, but she died earlier this year, after 15 years.:( At least because of covid we were at home and could be with her the whole time as she went. But I was (am) pretty cut up about it all.
20200204_143443.jpg

Dylan before she got sick. She wasn't lookin so super her last month or so.

I realize that you were probably doing the setup for a joke, and this might have screwed up the punchline a little. Sorry about that.

No, we had the best cat in the world, but she died earlier this year, after 15 years.:( At least because of covid we were at home and could be with her the whole time as she went. But I was (am) pretty cut up about it all.
View attachment 147392
Dylan before she got sick. She wasn't lookin so super her last month or so.

I realize that you were probably doing the setup for a joke, and this might have screwed up the punchline a little. Sorry about that.
Sorry she passed recently:( Ragdolls are so nice.

I lost a Black Cat once:cry:

K55_2.jpg

Thanks.
Longhair siamese. But looks like a ragdoll until you see them in person and realize how much smaller than a ragdoll they are.
And that the round face is actually all fluff, and there's really a pointy siamese head under there.

Also a breed no one's ever heard of until you own one and google "... kinda cat is this anyway?"
Not rare, just not well known.

How a pure bred siamese ended up as a rescue cat is the big mystery!

I lost a Black Cat once:cry:

View attachment 147394
I lost mine too. I still had it recently. I got it in New Orleans in 1968. I was in the army, that’s how I remember. It was in my pocket for so many years that all the black paint was gone and the loop on the handle wore away so only the rivet was still there. I loved that knife, I can’t believe I misplaced it.

I lost my Great Lakes commercial fisherman’s gut knife. I can’t find a replacement on the net. I’m going to go to the fish dock and see if they have one they can sell me. I wonder if they are old and no longer made. They have about a four or five inch blade with a rounded tip, sharp from the handle through the tip. Pull the knife through the belly, flip it sideways and push it away using the rounded tip to sweep out the guts. They also make excellent filet knives so fast production is assured. They aren’t fancy, just a very sharp thin slab of non stainless steel with a wood handle. I could try and make a replacement from memory. The real thing with the size and balance would be nice to see before making one. Getting a real replacement would be better.

I have an old cleaver that needs handles and some refurb. I have adhd but maybe I can get a grip on it and concentrate. I'll just have to steel myself. I'm In! Be Well, SS.

Last edited:
Oh, what the heck. I'm in. I've got plenty of steel, even a blank or two. And a nice walnut slab I've been wanting to trim some fat from to make scales.

Thanks for the heads up @OddJob

Last time: I was in your area; you was starting to get into forge . Hammer On !

:forum:

Last edited:
No forge, but I wonder if a plumbers torch would let me do an edge temper? I'm pretty sure I can grind a knife shape out of something else. The trick is to not burn it up grinding though, right? I may jump in after watching some youtubes... Forged in Fire is a fav of mine too.

Carl.

No forge, but I wonder if a plumbers torch would let me do an edge temper? I'm pretty sure I can grind a knife shape out of something else. The trick is to not burn it up grinding though, right? I may jump in after watching some youtubes... Forged in Fire is a fav of mine too.

Carl.
A lot of people temper with a torch.
Map gas is probably better than propane, but propane is doable.

You can also temper in the oven.

Also a lot of knives out there made from saw blades and whatnot with a grinder.

You've always been good at figuring out new things, so I have faith in your abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back