Suspension seatpost ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody use these? I think I'm going to try a cheap one this season. The suspension seat on my Huffy Cranbrook didn't really cut it last summer while riding on dirt roads.

I hate them. As a bigger guy (200 plus lbs) they are ridiculous. When I sit, the spring collapses, and that's it. Now I'm sitting too low. When dismounting, the seat springs up to get in my way. :mad:
Bummer, that's what I was worried about.
I guess I might have to break down and buy one of those newfangled softail mountain bikes. The ones in my price range seem kind of rickety though.
Anybody know of any good inexpensive suspension seats?

These seat post work fantastic. I had this on a 75lbs ebike. It was bone jaring hitting bumps with the bike. I bought this seat post and it truly does work.
18.jpg
19.jpg

Anybody use these? I think I'm going to try a cheap one this season. The suspension seat on my Huffy Cranbrook didn't really cut it last summer while riding on dirt roads.
The seatpost isn't the problem. At least, not the only problem. I'd upgrade the Cranbrook if I was going to do dirt roads for more than like five minutes. I've never tried a suspension post, but I sorta Specialized in retro mountain bikes, that would be where I'd look for a gravel rider

Last edited:
I know, the main problem is I'm getting old. :oops:

Back in the day I used to ride up and down dirt roads all summer long on something not much different than this Cranbrook. Now after a couple months my lower back starts to ache. If I stick to the pavement it's not a problem, but there's a lot of dirt roads around here.

Last edited:
These seat post work fantastic. I had this on a 75lbs ebike. It was bone jaring hitting bumps with the bike. I bought this seat post and it truly does work.
View attachment 151879View attachment 151880
Most suspension seat posts are garbage. I’m small and light so they don’t collapse but they move side to side. I think the type above is another matter, good. Several guys I ride with use them on adventure bikes. They used them to ride from coast to coast and for the Ride the Divide race so they must be good.

I've got a nice basic one on my old Cannondale, the bike shop put it on years ago and it works very well. I too am over 200 lbs and have no problems with it. There is a tension adjustment on the bottom of it. You have to take it out of the bike to adjust it. I have another one on my Planet X that needed a lot of adjustment to be of any use. It's a less expensive one I'm sure but still works well enough for the occasional bump which is all you really need one for anyway, even on these two hardtails...

Carl.

... When I sit, the spring collapses, and that's it. Now I'm sitting too low. When dismounting, the seat springs up to get in my way. :mad:

OUCH the visuals, LOL.
But this has given me an idea for a sturdy spring post from this post.
I'll post it when I get to putting it together.

Last edited:
I was thinking about trying a cheap post and rigging up a limiting strap between the seat and frame. So, the post could only rise so far.
Then I saw a 29" full suspension Genesis Incline at walmart yesterday, and bought it.

When I got this one it was frozen solid, would not move at all. Cleaned it up and now... smooth as butter. Put it on the wife's bike. She is 125 lbs. I can see it move when she is in front of me. She says she can't feel any difference, probably because it's working. Cheap junk, but it works for her.
1615039535395.png
1615039535395.png

Latest posts

Back