Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the hole in the handle for a finger, does your pinkie go through?
The strap is a nice touch, I love the edge that leather gives. That would save me from using the back of my belt.

I need to get a rawhide dog treat for the haft binding. It’s a visual pun. Get it?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t find any deer poo for my Indian glue but I found some rabbit droppings. They eat mostly fiber so I’ll give it a try.View attachment 151972
Wah! I almost got the rabbit poo on a salad. I had them drying on a paper towel on a paper plate by the wood stove. My wife came downstairs for lunch and thought they were capers. She was going to make a salad. I told her I didn’t want e coli for lunch. She said some stuff, including “you never cease to amaze me”.

That's awesome, man! My wife has the same impression of me as well. Just a reminder, though: this is the discussion thread, not the build thread

Another casualty:

So today would be my dads birthday. He passed in 2010. I text my wife “I wonder if he’ll give me a sign”. One minute later he threw his drill press (that has knife blade clamped to it) at me while I was working on a bike.

3ffe38a3027760815d49e8c38fc19c91.jpg

Then a few minutes later:

1fcf2f1a37e297512ee35e7a7c8eaccc.jpg

Bled threw two bandages. Third one is holding so far.

Thanks dad. Not sure what that was all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think at this point my camper will be finished before this challenge ends, plus the custom forge I ordered won't be here for another 3 or 4 weeks.
Rather than drive 25 miles to use someone else's forge, I'll just wait.

So I may not forge something, but don't count me out yet. An idea popped in my head, so I might make something from something.

Another attempt at the tiny blade wrap, this time with old boot laces. Is NOS a thing for footwear?
IMG_20210314_165701786.jpg
IMG_20210314_165541472.jpg

It is better, but I'm still not happy with it. See that loop right at the spot where you put your thumb in a pinch grip? The critical one, that looks like it is loose? It is loose.
I've got a strip of neon green paracord that I might try next, but I like the toughness of the boot lace. It also has a more primitive, sinewy look, which doesn't match the look of the blade.

Another attempt at the tiny blade wrap, this time with old boot laces. Is NOS a thing for footwear?
View attachment 152773View attachment 152774
It is better, but I'm still not happy with it. See that loop right at the spot where you put your thumb in a pinch grip? The critical one, that looks like it is loose? It is loose.
I've got a strip of neon green paracord that I might try next, but I like the toughness of the boot lace. It also has a more primitive, sinewy look, which doesn't match the look of the blade.
Get yourself some flat cord and shark skin
1615908914065.png

Also stumbled across this, I never seen it before. You could give it a try.
1615909063349.png

Get yourself some flat cord and shark skin
View attachment 152902

Also stumbled across this, I never seen it before. You could give it a try.
View attachment 152905
Yes, both of those techniques are firmly within both my budget and skill level :rolleyes:
But you've got me curious. How is that leather attached to the handle? A wrap over top? That would serve to fill in the grooves on the edge of the tang, which is causing me troubles galore

He's saying "Put that bike down and work on your knife. March 17 is the half way point!"

ya, ya, ya, you're probably right. I will try to finish it. I'm back and forth with ideas. I need to get to doing, not thinking.

Yes, both of those techniques are firmly within both my budget and skill level :rolleyes:
But you've got me curious. How is that leather attached to the handle? A wrap over top? That would serve to fill in the grooves on the edge of the tang, which is causing me troubles galore
It's probably glued in place. A bit messy to insert tab a into slot b, but that's all I can think of. Though you could wrap over it, would probably hold fine.

Modified a Western when I was 13-14 for gutting, stag handle is one my Pepaw started and I finished, the Damascus Skinner was made by Joe Farkas.
16159377934936820163602930636210.jpg

Latest posts

Back