Electra RS Klunker build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Alongside all other projects I dream about a old looking Klunker mountainbike for singletracks for some time now.
I decided to create this new topic because I found a cool Electra RS bicycle.

I came across some neat parts which I would like to share:
  • RAL 1014? (Creme) Rigida Ryde V38 classic look rims.
  • 3 or 8 speed hub. Shimano Nexus 3 with coasterbrake is reliable, parts are plenty available and simple, so a good contender.
  • An 1977 Sturmey Archer front drum brake hub, which I can refurbish.
  • Klunker bars! Oldschool moped handlebar:
FeBRbXk.jpg

• Electra RS (Rally Sport) that I saved from the scrapyard. I can use the frame as a base for the Klunker bike.
3Ta27cl.jpg

Only concern that I have with this frame: the Bottom bracket (With 26x2.125 tires) and the current fork is VERY low. Could also be a riding challenge.
One thought/idea: Weld a lasercut plate on the dropouts for two things: Lift the frame and lower the rear axle. And have a M10x1 hole for a derailleur hanger (I am thinking about a classic Sturmey Archer drum brake hub with cassette, the X-RDC).

Are there people who have experience with this frame as a base for a Klunker bike? I will use it for actual mountainbiking.

Inspiration: (these are bikes I stole from the internet and RRB) let me know if there is a problem using your bike/picture.

One inspiration is the "Oranjeboom Klunker" from a RRB buildoff some time ago. Beautiful oldschool bike!

wbd73qn.jpg

od4Zdkx.jpg

xr9GU73.jpg

I am curious about your thoughts about my thoughts :grin: There are some great Klunker builders here on RRB!

Last edited:
Cool stuff elBarto. Can you simply clamp the moped bars into a bicycle stem, or is something special required? I saw a few in a garage that I could use, but didn't have calipers or anything to measure with
PS there's a Build Off coming, will this be an entry? You just might have some cruiser/klunker competition!

Great idea! Love those handlebars! Looks like a Zundapp handlebar.

If you like more clearance, you can do a few things.

Shorten your cranks, but that would affect your pedaling.

Add an excentric cup to your bracket. Then you also convert it from US to EU bracket.

You could also add a dropout plate for the fork, like a T shape. Fork in one end, thruss rod in the other end. And then wheel in the middle part.

If you add a dropout plate in the rear, you can't go really low because of the clearance for your chain and the frame.
967d050af5b357e9e349fa96f4441ad4.jpg

Frank

If you build it, they will come!

Cool stuff elBarto. Can you simply clamp the moped bars into a bicycle stem, or is something special required? I saw a few in a garage that I could use, but didn't have calipers or anything to measure with
PS there's a Build Off coming, will this be an entry? You just might have some cruiser/klunker competition!
The Moped bars I ordered (Website: JMPB onderdelen) have 22,2mm diameter for the grips and the stem. I found that a BMX stem works with them, because many BMX stems have a 22,2mm diameter. Only disadvantage: BMX stems a quite short, about 50mm in length.

Great idea! Love those handlebars! Looks like a Zundapp handlebar.

If you like more clearance, you can do a few things.

Shorten your cranks, but that would affect your pedaling.

Add an excentric cup to your bracket. Then you also convert it from US to EU bracket.

You could also add a dropout plate for the fork, like a T shape. Fork in one end, thruss rod in the other end. And then wheel in the middle part.

If you add a dropout plate in the rear, you can't go really low because of the clearance for your chain and the frame.
967d050af5b357e9e349fa96f4441ad4.jpg

Frank

If you build it, they will come!

Thanks Frank,

They are indeed old Moped bars! Initially I wanted the "Velo Orange Klunker Bars" but they cost around 80-90 euro........ Now I bought two bars for one-third of that price :21: But: Velo Orange does have some sweet stuff!

I will not use a EU bracket. Not because there is anything wrong with them, but I love that authentic old Klunker design with the "one piece" crank.

Low BB, either ride only a-technical terrain on it or run short crank arms.
I think I will lift the frame a bit with bigger tires and update my riding skills ;)

Newsflash

My thoughts on this build so far:
I am going to gather and order parts before putting it all together. I will sandblast the electra frame with my crossframe when this goes to the painter.

Which parts have I gathered now?
The moped bars gave me some inspiration (maybe too much).
So I ordered a second hand front hub from a "Puch" moped. The thing is huge! But not that much heavier than my old steel Sturmey Archer drum brake hub.
I am going to check the weight soon, just for fun.

My goal is to get that "Vintage motocross klunker bike look".

hw53dtc.jpeg

Maybe I am going to far.... :rofl:
bUilfKi.jpeg

8O3i37S.jpeg

This hub just looks so good!
The original spokes used on this hub are J-bend spokes, just like your average bicycle. So it should be okay. And the hub is 100mm, so it fits bicycle fork width.

My other thoughts on the build:
Reliable, maintainable, I want to be able to climb hills on this bike, so not a singlespeed.

Rear hub:
  • Initially I wanted the Sturmey Archer X-RDC hub (with drum brake and 8-speed cassette) but that takes some adjusting to the frame and I worry about chainline. It is a very reliable and robust hub in my experience!
  • Then I look at the Sturmey Archer S-RC3 (3-speed coaster brake hub). I really like the design! Only thing is: You do not really see them for sale here in the Netherlands... So I worry about availability and aftersales. The S2C is plenty for sale.
  • Nexus 3 speed hub with Coasterbrake. You see them a lot! Used in city bikes which mosty stand outside in the rain. But I read some reports of them being used for mountainbiking with happy users. And I found out it is a very simple hub in maintainance.
  • Shimano Nexus 7 and 8 are not reliable enough unfortunately. I destroyed an (older) Nexus 8 once. My neighbors nexus 7 is broken and about to be rebuilt after 500km......
More options or tips regarding hubs from anyone?

Its funny to see that almost all bike sold here in the Netherlands contain Shimano parts. City, commuter, mountainbikes....... While in my personal experience Sturmey Archer is just as good and in some cases even better.

Last edited:
Thanks. No they were Felt bars. I fabricated a bracket out of a reflector bracket to mount the old truss rods.
Here's my parts list from build-off
  • Frame: 26” 2005 Electra Rally Sport 1st generation steel Stream Ride frame, original paint
  • Fork: Sunlite Chrome MX/ BMX cruiser fork w/ cro-mo BMX adapter from threaded 1” (21.1) ID to 1 1/8 OD threadless
  • Worksman Heavy Duty Industrial wheelset with 11 Gauge spocks front drum brake (had to retro fit the brake arm to the fork)
  • Kenda K-Rad 2.35 Knobby Tires
  • Felt Moto Cross bars w/Redline Stem, Acme Moto Grips
  • Brook B-17 Saddle / Haro Alloy Seat Clamp
  • Crankset, German made from the 1970s w/ American to Euro BB adapter
  • 1980 Welgo beartrap pedals
  • Truss Rods from a 1930s Colson Cruiser w/ fabricated fork mount from 1970s AMF cruiser front reflector mount ( the modern ones had too thin of metal)
  • Jagwire black brake cable
Complete 4.jpg

Thanks. No they were Felt bars. I fabricated a bracket out of a reflector bracket to mount the old truss rods.
  • Frame: 26” 2005 Electra Rally Sport 1st generation steel Stream Ride frame, original paint
  • Fork: Sunlite Chrome MX/ BMX cruiser fork w/ cro-mo BMX adapter from threaded 1” (21.1) ID to 1 1/8 OD threadless
  • Worksman Heavy Duty Industrial wheelset with 11 Gauge spocks front drum brake (had to retro fit the brake arm to the fork)
  • Truss Rods from a 1930s Colson Cruiser w/ fabricated fork mount from 1970s AMF cruiser front reflector mount ( the modern ones had too thin of metal)
View attachment 155172
Snagging that truss rod idea! :thumbsup:

Newsflash

My thoughts on this build so far:
I am going to gather and order parts before putting it all together. I will sandblast the electra frame with my crossframe when this goes to the painter.

Which parts have I gathered now?
The moped bars gave me some inspiration (maybe too much).
So I ordered a second hand front hub from a "Puch" moped. The thing is huge! But not that much heavier than my old steel Sturmey Archer drum brake hub.
I am going to check the weight soon, just for fun.

My goal is to get that "Vintage motocross klunker bike look".

hw53dtc.jpeg

Maybe I am going to far.... :rofl:
bUilfKi.jpeg

8O3i37S.jpeg

This hub just looks so good!
The original spokes used on this hub are J-bend spokes, just like your average bicycle. So it should be okay. And the hub is 100mm, so it fits bicycle fork width.

My other thoughts on the build:
Reliable, maintainable, I want to be able to climb hills on this bike, so not a singlespeed.

Rear hub:
  • Initially I wanted the Sturmey Archer X-RDC hub (with drum brake and 8-speed cassette) but that takes some adjusting to the frame and I worry about chainline. It is a very reliable and robust hub in my experience!
  • Then I look at the Sturmey Archer S-RC3 (3-speed coaster brake hub). I really like the design! Only thing is: You do not really see them for sale here in the Netherlands... So I worry about availability and aftersales. The S2C is plenty for sale.
  • Nexus 3 speed hub with Coasterbrake. You see them a lot! Used in city bikes which mosty stand outside in the rain. But I read some reports of them being used for mountainbiking with happy users. And I found out it is a very simple hub in maintainance.
  • Shimano Nexus 7 and 8 are not reliable enough unfortunately. I destroyed an (older) Nexus 8 once. My neighbors nexus 7 is broken and about to be rebuilt after 500km......
More options or tips regarding hubs from anyone?

Its funny to see that almost all bike sold here in the Netherlands contain Shimano parts. City, commuter, mountainbikes....... While in my personal experience Sturmey Archer is just as good and in some cases even better.

Cool front hub!

Cool stack of parts also!

And for the rear hub, Sturmey are definitly better and have way less roll resistance.
If you are looking for a similar look as the front hub. Try and find a Sachs hub. Should be easy to find. But then you also have a wider hub. If you like i can check my parts , i believe i have a Sachs 3 speed laying around somewhere. I used it in a bike, rebuilt it first so it's in good working condition. I also have a 3 speed SA hub but it's no coaster brake, it's a freehub from 1963. I'll post some pics here.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn motorola one met Tapatalk

Here's one I built for a build off on the old Electra Owners Forum several years ago using a Sunlite fork.
View attachment 155167
View attachment 155166
View attachment 155168
View attachment 155170
Beautiful bike, I added it to my inspiration-list!

View attachment 155172
The Electra Rally Sport (at least mine) has a 1 inch headtube. What did you modify to fit a 1 1/8 threadless fork? Again: Awesome bike!

Beautiful bike, I added it to my inspiration-list!

The Electra Rally Sport (at least mine) has a 1 inch headtube. What did you modify to fit a 1 1/8 threadless fork? Again: Awesome bike!
Thanks, It's a threaded 1" fork with a 1 1/8" threadless adapter. I replaced the bolt, cap, and wedge with the one that has a pass-thru for the brake cable. It came off an old school threaded BMX block stem.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=43651
1619527331990.png

Last edited:
This is the hub, a bit dirty on the outsider. But internally checked en regreased.
You can have it for free if you pay shipping.
1fac8bce6a91390f9537dee31a07a66b.jpg
e6825626214c7a7720c766caff2389d5.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn motorola one met Tapatalk
I appreciate the gesture Frankie, thanks! Really, but I am thinking to place a "Sturmey Archer X-RDC" hub and a XL-FD to the front. These are nearly indestructable and have a vintage look (albeit a bit polished).
Where in the Netherlands are you from if I may ask?

Update and more thoughts:

My rims came in!
26 inch Rigida Ryde V38 Classic look aluminum rims. They are not as tough as double walled mountainbike rims, but I do not care. I am not going to be gravity riding with this bike.
Picture:
fcL9rdi.jpeg

The moped front hub is a bit on the heavy and large side. Even though I love the looks, I probably will not use it for this build. I am not a weight weenie, but I think this is too much: :grin:
Yz7uvUd.jpeg

Old Sturmey Archer bicycle hub.

unPbSzQ.jpeg

Moped drum brake hub... 2 kilograms...

E7PofzX.jpeg

Placed within the 26 inch rim to check the size.

RAM1xeZ.jpeg

Layout.
UNnxCZk.jpeg

Right now I ordered a 26 inch mountainbike fork with cantilever brakes and a 1 inch headtube. I ordered a fork with brakes on purpose, so that I know this fork can handle some serious braking.
Eventually I will weld a notch for drum brakes on the fork.

I have seen forks that did not have mounts (designed for) brakes that were bent after mounting a drum brake of disc brake.

Clever!
I see there are loads more options for 1 1/8 headtubes, so I thought you gathered bearing parts to fit a 1 1/8 fork on the Electra :wink1:

Thanks!
Added this after you replied: I replaced the bolt, cap, and wedge with the one that has a pass-thru for the brake cable. It came off an old school threaded BMX block stem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back