Who has made a 1 1/8” steer tube fork work in a 1” head tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has figured it out, they likely reside here. I have another place to use it if it can’t be done.

That headset is pretty slick! Lots of new things since I originally hung around here!

FWIW it fits "better quality" American head tubes like Schwinns.

If you have a (sorry) cheaper old department store frame that would normally use the Wald 4080 headset, you can likely just press in 1 1/8" cups. ;)

I can't remember which brand I used on a Spaceliner, but it was a 32.5mm head tube ID like the Retro Ryder unit. Any smaller head tube ID than that and I don't think there's anything out there that works (though I imagine if someone could machine a headset with a fully external bearing race or maybe even a headset that pressed onto the OD of the head tube—as long as there's enough length beyond the top and down tubes—that could work).

22552339_10155233589863191_3054362118534609027_n.jpg

I had my LBS use a head tube reamer to cut an 80’s Schwinn Cruiser head tube to fit a standard 1 1/8” headset. We measured A LOT to make sure there was enough material to make it work. I’m still running it today. I’m waiting to install a White Industries headset on the frame once the fork I want is back in stock.

fe69b3519d1aebb1539158dd9fc981b9.jpg

e77327d6ba11597c38d24eb99a88c0eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As soon as I finish my monster bike, I will see what I can cobble together. I am almost thinking of going another direction with my triple fork that the head tube wouldn’t need modification (but there will be plenty of other mods).

The original headset was ridden loose, 1⅛ headcups pressed in nice!

Attachments

• IMG_20161105_163502 (1).jpg
    IMG_20161105_163502 (1).jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 35
Saw someone on the Electra FB page, sorry can’t find the post, solve this by buying a piece of 1 1/8” headtube stock from eBay, cut ‘rings’ long enough to fit the larger cups and slid them over the top and bottom of the 1” headtube...the existing headtube kept everything level. Now, I’m in no way endorsing this, just passing on a ‘potential’ solution...

Saw someone on the Electra FB page, sorry can’t find the post, solve this by buying a piece of 1 1/8” headtube stock from eBay, cut ‘rings’ long enough to fit the larger cups and slid them over the top and bottom of the 1” headtube...the existing headtube kept everything level. Now, I’m in no way endorsing this, just passing on a ‘potential’ solution...

Found the FB post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ELECTRABIKELOVERS/permalink/10157191364476120/

:39: :39: :39:

Latest posts

Back