New Member from N. Alabama

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, it was recommended that I make an intro post.

I am in N. AL fairly near to Huntsville where the Redstone Arsenals and Space and Rocket Center is located.

I do not have a bike at this time, but this may be the nudge I need to get one and get more exercise with it. When I was in my teens I had a Montgomery Wards 26 inch girl bike. The bike in my avatar is what I remember it looking like. That bike had speed and could roll really good. My little brother would borrow it when the boys would have a race down the neighborhood street. He had one of those new spider type bikes with the tall handlebars and the banana seat.

I have worked in regular cubicle jobs for most of my working life, and now I help forums stay functioning. I really like it as I can do it anywhere I can take a laptop, or even a tablet, or sometimes my phone, and as long as there is an internet signal I can "work".

I am really glad to be here and to see what everyone is building in the Summer Contest.

Last edited:
Welcome Angie. I've been up your way back when the International Paper Courtland mill was still running. Your brothers bike race story reminds me of the Hot Rod Charlie story that @Ben lay is weaving in this year's Build Off. Most of us won't know what you are talking about when you say "Summer Contest". If you say THE "Build Off", we'll all get it :D . Once again, welcome aboard.

Hi @Angie I don't know if this is the appropriate place to reach out to you about Forum issues, but since we've got your attention, I'm going to bring it up here.
Just recently, the highlight color for unviewed alerts was dimmed, it makes it really difficult to tell which ones are new. I'll share a screenshot
Screenshot_20210513-152008.png

If you look, there is a slight difference in tone between Captain Awesome's post at 12:17am and Wizzletooth's at 12:33. That is the difference between seen and unseen posts. Until last week, the contrast was greater. If you can do anything to restore it, it would really help with forum navigation.
Thanks, and welcome to the nuthouse
MattV

@MattiThundrrr Thank you. I think I can get that taken care of soon. Once we know the site is settled, we do plan to do some updating of a few things. And that certainly can be one of the things we first work to make better.

And anyone that has some issue that need attention, please feel free to let me know.

Hello Angie; I'm in the Huntsville area too.

Welcome from someone else in the Huntsville area.

That's great to know there are 2 of you in the general area. Do you ride the bikes on the road, with the seats that look as if they would hurt to sit on? In traffic with no bike lanes? Or do you stick to the neater older versions of bikes.

Welcome to RRB, Boss!

I'm jealous of your job...we both get paid to peruse the forums...but, they also expect me to make parts! The nerve.

Jason

This sounds intriguing? You look at forums and make parts? Hmmmmm.

Welcome, Angie!

That's great to know there are 2 of you in the general area. Do you ride the bikes on the road, with the seats that look as if they would hurt to sit on? In traffic with no bike lanes? Or do you stick to the neater older versions of bikes.
I can not answer for them individually, however it seems that many on this forum have multiple bikes that are either multi-use or purpose built for specific tasks.

Saddles, road bike saddles are designed to fit an indivudual's sit bones and are actually comfortable for long rides once one's sit bones are used to them.

Riding in traffic with no bike lanes is almost a given for anyone who rides from their home, as there is vehicular traffic even on residential streets. Figuring out local routing is much easier than in the past with the advent of digital mapping and readily available like-user information on the web.

Older bikes are not always better or cooler, however it would seem that most on this forum choose older. My motivations are multi-faceted and recycling/repurposing older is the most extrinsically satisfying part of it all.

Since you are here to help us continue on, it would be most symbiotic of us to help you get rolling.

Welcome aboard from Gadsden Alabama!

You should know Angie that RRB is not like most other 'conventional' bike forums. From my perspective, I would say it is just as much of an art community as it is a bicycle community. You need not look farther than the founder himself to find the overlap!

While some forums focus on the latest off road gear or ways to cut ounces from their road bikes, the folks around here focus on things like how to adapt some old crusty flea market kitchen appliance to a bike (with total disregard to weight) just because it looks cool!

The prevailing mantra around here is basically "build a cool bike and have fun".

I look forward to seeing you 'build' your first bike if you decide to. You will be amazed by the amount of encouragement that you will receive. Just remember to have fun!

-Jim Henderson

Jim really nailed it—it really is largely about art involving bicycles. It's not coincidence that a lot of people here went to art or design school and work in creative trades or have other creative hobbies. It's what drew me here in the first place as I like seeing craftsmanship at a level I would never have the patience for and the weird ideas and oddball solutions people come up with, usually at the expense of practicality, but practicality isn't as fun.

Thanks @Duchess I'm not an artists but do sewing and crocheting a good bit. I love shiny, sparkly stuff and aqua blue. So any bike with any of that and I'm going to like it.
I think I'll be liking it for those same reasons you list. Craftsmen/women with the bikes and art. That's special.

I'm pretty far out of town and can ride on back roads with little traffic, if I choose the right times. I also transport my bikes to good areas to ride. For example, I rode at Goose Pond last weekend.
I'm not a fan of the kind of road bikes you're talking about, and you certainly won't catch me in a spandex riding suit! I prefer old school cruisers, early mountain bikes, and both gas and electric motorized bikes. Also industrial bikes.

Latest posts

Back