Need help identifying year of Western "Galaxy" Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious of the year and manufacturer of my Galaxy Flyer. The serial numbers are MO 2020 97 / U3659533. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_3736[1].JPG
    IMG_3736[1].JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3735[1].JPG
    IMG_3735[1].JPG
    553.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3733[1].JPG
    IMG_3733[1].JPG
    481.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3727[1].JPG
    IMG_3727[1].JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 86
Murray built. I don't know the serial numbers for Murrays, but that is just like the Murray Monterey. My guess would be 1980s to 1990s.

Western Flyer was the store brand of bikes sold in Western Auto Stores. Just about every U.S. major manufacturer produced bikes for them over the years, and a couple of European makers as well. Differences from a late 60s or 70s Murray are the length of the fenders, plating process on the rims, and different hubs.

Wait a minute.
It's older than I thought, it has pointy dropouts. Pretty sure Murray stopped that in the mid to late 60s, so I'm off on the age.
Blade forks as well, so probably 60s.
I should have expanded the pics to full size before.

They used pointy dropouts on some models all the way to the end. The changeover to unicrown forks was in the early '80s, I think. Graphics and color feel '70s to early '80s to me. I have some notes somewhere about the later Murray serials...I just need to remember where I put them :grin:.

The cropped fenders and big reflectors are late 80's, looks like the same model as the Westport, as noted above.

I think it is a 1970…possibly 1980 due to the M0 (Murray changed to M# for year in '68). I think 1980 is out because the black sticker should have a date code by then. At some point Murray went back to MO# for year by the '80s, but I don't know precisely what year that was. No BMA/6 sticker, but that doesn't help anyway because '70 is pre sticker and by '80 it had long since been abandoned. My only reservation about '70 is that I don't know when the serials were moved to the head tube...'70 seems early...so '70 or '80.

I think it is a 1970…possibly 1980 due to the M0 (Murray changed to M# for year in '68). I think 1980 is out because the black sticker should have a date code by then. At some point Murray went back to MO# for year by the '80s, but I don't know precisely what year that was. No BMA/6 sticker, but that doesn't help anyway because '70 is pre sticker and by '80 it had long since been abandoned. My only reservation about '70 is that I don't know when the serials were moved to the head tube...'70 seems early...so '70 or '80.
@RustyGold - so great. I will take it.

I found the another thread on RatRods for someone else with the same bike frame and M0 serial number. Bought a western flyer and need help | Rat Rod Bikes

Thanks everyone. That was fun.

So I found B078 on the handlebar stem. Then the brake has BENDIX 76 MEXICO - not sure that I can count on that to be original and the 76 to be for 1976 but that is what I am assuming now. And the B078 to mean 1978.

I learned a lot about this bike through this thread. Thanks for the help. It was fun. I see why you guys get hooked on this.

Bendix 76 is for the 1976 introduction of that hub ('75 actually, but close enough), preceded by the Bendix 70. If the wheelset is original, I'd call it an '80. I would guess the B078 is a part number...if year, they could have had them in inventory for quite awhile as I believe the stems and cranks were sourced from Ashtabula.

Latest posts

Back