Riff Ratt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cantilevers from a 24" frame that I salvaged awhile back are just the right length and curve for the struts! Holes are lined up and the right size too. Too bad I cut them in half last month while trying to fit springs. :crazy: Either I can have them welded back together or use them as an example and have a set made up. I still have a little stimulus money left I think.

struts 10 Jun 21.JPG

I put the chain on and just needed 3/4ths of a turn on the locknuts to the right to have plenty of tire clearance.

chain adjust 10 Jun 21.JPG

The tensioner lined up with a couple tries. High and low gear work fine. The crude derailleur is the next step.
High gear:
high gear 10 jun 21.JPG

Low gear:

Low gear 10 Jun 21.JPG

Man, you have had a busy week and I had a lot of catching up to do on your thread.
I have to say that I love everything about this build!! It's whimsical and over the top, but it just flows so cool!!!
Keep it up brother. This is looking sooooo slick!!

BartRidesEternal mentioned the thin metal on the rear so I've been thinking on how to make them stouter. I added bolts on either side with lock washers to marry the sections together. I used the same idea as the swing arm attachment, the locknuts make it solid. Now I don't feel any flex in them. I might add another bolt halfway to the shock mount, but I think I'm good.
bracket bolt 11 Jun 21.JPG

Then I remembered brakes. I added a band brake and made up a bracket to hold it, as the new dropout had nothing to bolt up to. Now I will go through and see if I have a brake lever and cable that will work.

band brake 11 Jun 21.JPG

The welder showed up already! He had the struts welded back together in no time.
welding 11 Jun 21.JPG

Welding and grinding on my new tile, but no marks, so it's ok.

grinding 11 Jun 21.JPG

Then I bolted up the struts and they didn't mesh as well as I thought. Pretty close but not exact. I'll have to drill holes an inch lower on the fork arms to line them up almost perfectly. Or maybe I could take some bend out of the struts.

struts 11 Jun 21.JPG

It rained and cooled it off a little, so I went to work and remounted the struts. I sat on it and it's got good spring action front and rear. I need my handlebars to show up to run the brake cable and I'm ready to test ride.

new struts 11 Jun 21.JPG

I agree with Brian ^. I like the big curved supports on the front fork, they work well with your frame curves.

Man, WC, you are really going all out on this one! Like KF said, the whimsy and mechanical and hot rod sides of this all mesh really well. My eyes keep going to those shiny wheels and big white walls! Perfect addition to this cool build. :113:

While waiting on Handlebars and kickstand, I'm working on some other smaller stuff. I'm going to do a frame insert and couldn't find the color I was looking for in all the wood scraps from the cabinets and shelves that were made recently. Then I found it, the piece of wood I use on my work table has the right color on the backside. That's as far as I got with that.
insert 13 Jun 21.JPG

I have the copper backplate from an earlier build of mine, Coppertooth. Kingfish mailed it back to me a couple years after I sold it to him, for free!
10419067_10152463847201737_668132349667743273_n.jpg

It still has the design of the CWC chain wheel patinaed in it. I'll leave that on the inside and have the shiny side out. I had planned on using it for last years build, but never had the right frame. So now it'll get used on Riff Ratt. I measured and cut it out to fit the dual chain wheel this morning. I may clean up the outer chain wheel, but not today, it's Sunday and no work is done. It's actually quiet in the neighborhood.
coppertooth 13 Jun 21.JPG

copper 13 Jun 21.JPG

copperwheel 13 Jun 21.JPG

Glad to see the Coppertooth copper plate reborn again on a Wildcat build!

The bowed fork looks a lot better than the springs (even though I liked the springs).
Cool work on the rear end too.
This continues to come along nicely.

I have the leftover copper that may get some use also.
The seat couldn't be set level enough with the layback seat post, so off came the front seat spring and now it's good. Before the springs would have bottomed out with my weight, but these heavy motorcycle seat springs just barely compress.
I smoothed the rough edges of the outer chain wheel with my dremel and it's back on there. The tensioner makes it so easy to take the chain off and on.

seat 14 Jun 21.JPG

I'd love to see a video of the suspension in action if you can manage it. So curious about the mechanics of this project! It's incredible
My wife does videos all the time of the new house and plants, so I tried to upload a bike video before but couldn't get it to load onto this webpage. I think I need to use you tube or something.

I added more support to the rear section. 2 more bolts on top and 2 on the sides. If that isn't strong enough, I'll take outer section to the fab shop and have them make it out of heavier metal. They will have to drill the holes, all my bits are worn out.
extra 15 Jun 21.JPG

Then that's about it. Just running the brake cable is all that's left to "engineer". That needs the handlebars to show up. Then I dismantled the bike. I'll go through and clean up all the rough edges and sand down everything to get ready for paint. I'm thinking gloss black since the wheels and springs are shiny. Black should look good against the whitewalls also.
td 15 Jun 21.JPG

I like your color palate idea. Shiny springs and hardware, gloss black. Speaking of springs, did you replace the springs on that saddle then, WC? You mentioned 'motorcycle seat springs'. I need to do something with my saddle as well.

As far as videos go, yes, you do have to first create one on Youtube, and then just copy and paste the URL of the video in your build post on your thread. Not hard to do if your wife already has her own Youtube channel. Or create your own Youtube channel. There is no cost, I don't have any of the 'premium' options and it's been working well for me for years of RRB and music performance videos.

I bought those gold colored springs fairly cheap on amazon a few years ago. A long wait for them to arrive though. They are more than enough spring. They were a chore to bolt on but worth the trouble. I think they were advertised as springs for a motorcycle seat. I'm about 200lb but would bottom out the seat.

I'm checking on powdercoat here in town. If it's a decent price, I can skip the spray paint. I'll show up with all these parts and they'll wonder: "What the heck is all this stuff?":wondering:

The wife uploads to FB with no problem but that's it. I'll try to do a youtube account in the morning while the internet has a little speed. I always thought it had a monthly cost and I don't do enough vids to make that worthwhile.

Glad to see the Coppertooth copper plate reborn again on a Wildcat build!

The bowed fork looks a lot better than the springs (even though I liked the springs).
Cool work on the rear end too.
This continues to come along nicely.
I remember where the seat came from too, you threw that in as a extra when we did business back in Florida. That's the same seat but been aged somewhat. Also, the handle grips came off the portafold from back then also. I'm not sure if I'll use them but they are more comfortable than the others I have.

50mm 8 Jun 21 - Copy.JPG

Latest posts

Back