⭐ ShowBoatin' ™ ⭐ FINISHING TOUCHES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I love it when you're working away in the shop with the door open and along comes the friendly delivery person

IMG_20210614_133156674.jpg

Now I just need the weather to cooperate for some paint trials to take place

Looking forward to the bling bling!

Looking forward to the bling bling!
Sitting here jotting down different combinations to try. Luckily I was doing some cleaning and found the perfect test panels for this endeavor

So I was scrounging around and found these stainless placards I laser cut over a decade ago. Not sure how but I have about 100 left 😬. Back when I was still motorcycle racing this was my last assigned race number so I cut these and had them on everything. Trailer, generator, toolboxes, tire stands, etc

Truth be told I spent many nights at the tracks running around full of barley juice stenciling these suckers on everything too 🤫

IMG_20210614_171618072.jpg

Perfect for these test color swatches

IMG_20210614_172759406.jpg
IMG_20210614_174806119.jpg

Numbered my colors so I could control my experiment

I'd love to see you post some of these test panels to show the difference in product/base to get to the end results!

IMG_20210614_190140320.jpg
IMG_20210614_190145113.jpg
IMG_20210614_190204362.jpg

Like the flake, just don't like that it's gold rather than yellow

Now we're on to something........

IMG_20210614_190156059.jpg

Primer, white base, silver metallic, yellow

Last edited:
Wow, you got some sparkle going there. Interesting how the backing color makes such a difference in the top coat, isn't it? Paint color, what a fascinating thing to ponder.

Those plates are cool. You should make up a category and offer one of your leftover paint samples in the Prize Pot.

What combos were each of them for future reference?
4 looks pretty wild, but I do really like 2.

1- primer, metallic
2- primer, gloss white, metallic
3- primer, glitter
4- primer, white, glitter (fail due to cracking)
5- primer, gloss black, glitter (fail due to extreme wrinkle)

Those plates are cool. You should make up a category and offer one of your leftover paint samples in the Prize Pot.

What combos were each of them for future reference?
4 looks pretty wild, but I do really like 2.
That's a good idea! I can definitely fashion something up

Best off road/klunk/strand inspired creation? Flashy no crashy

Last edited:
Wow, you got some sparkle going there. Interesting how the backing color makes such a difference in the top coat, isn't it? Paint color, what a fascinating thing to ponder.

I've been looking at other parts for other bikes all morning thinking about other color combo possibilities :nod:

Is it twenty past four yet? That's what I need...

Funny continuation......

2 guys I raced with were expert so in our series they could pick their own numbers each year. Novice like myself were assigned via lottery and 187 was just luck

We had 187, 420, and 007

Most nights the party was at our trailers :21:

Definitely gotta get it in primer. This humidity is a losing battle on the surface rust. Hopefully a window of hope to get it sealed on Saturday! 🤞

Hopefully can start breaking down the wheels tonight or tomorrow

Latest posts

Back