Sandhill Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Late to the party and I won’t be expecting any awards for best dressed, but it would be rude not to get stuck in.
The story here is that my son (2 in August) likes to ride on the top tube of my bike with me. So I’m going to make a bike with a little more room so I don’t knee him into the road!
These are the donor frames, opening the show is my old commuter, a Raleigh Gazelle
0E3BEA6C-9A9D-4FF3-9354-F4CB0338D7F3.jpeg

Donor the second, a BSA? frame of unknown lineage I cut up years back in a half baked project.
1969C23F-1B1E-4353-A688-B52EDA1CD42E.jpeg

Now for a quick and dirty mock-up to show off my ‘grand design
C87404DF-5F46-4CDD-AA04-9196548772F0.jpeg

Feel free to offer tips and advice, I’m going to need your help just to get done, let alone make the deadline!

The seatpost on the bsa is cool. You might be able to get a little money for that. Are you planning on moving the bottom bracket forward, or keeping it in the Raleigh's frame? Wide cruiser style bars will help with the additional reach of the stretched frame, as well as getting your arms around the littleun as they grow. I had so many great rides with my boys on the back...

Well bad news, the BSA seat post is just a pipe welded in place!
I do want to bring the BB forward some, I often find myself sitting on the very back of the seat.
Cruiser bars, those I do have. A pair I got free from the bike shop by me mums, yonks ago. They were always intended for this build.

I see you're in Christchurch and marked the 'builders map'... good to see my old home town being represented. There's one other builder from NZ that I'm aware of... @willhouse ... but he hasn't added his marker yet.

I did an old Murray Monterey for Build Off 13 which I called Blackheart. I gave it to my brother for his birthday so it lives in Christchurch now. It has a slight stretch in the frame too...

064_finished-jpg.82409

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/♥︎-blackheart-♥︎.106375/

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Glen.

Never to late to build, or join in... Hopefully it all comes together like gum on the bottom of a shoe, on a hot summers day... Good luck..

The stretched length looks good for you and your rider. You should use the Raleigh cranks where they are at, that will give you and your rider plenty of space for your feet. You won't worry about your knees bumping into your son. You might even add footrests up there somewhere.
As for your seat, maybe a layback seat post will give you an angle you like, and add another couple inches of space up front. With the cruiser bars, you'll want to sit back some.

Maybe the one piece shell can be cut out and the two downtubes bent to meet and get welded together.
raleigh.jpeg

Feel free to offer tips and advice
When you are about to weld, be careful with the heat, or you'll loosen your "brazed" joints on the green frame.

One way is to braze everything, if that is possible for you.

To me, it looks like it is easier to add some tubing, instead of using the green frame. But I know Ratrod bike forum members can surpise me (in a good way)! :thumbsup:

I do like your ideas, can't wait to see more.

Excellent start! I personally like the crank moved forward, so I would use the BB from the blue frame. I do, however, understand that the stretch is to accommodate your son so maybe the crank in the original location on the green frame may work out better for your application.

Hey Muddy, Have you had a chance to make any progress on the build? I’d love to see come together!

Great to see you back in the build offs.
Please send me some Crunchie bars!!!! I fell in love with that stuff when we drove all over the North and South islands eleven years ago (before the Christchurch quake).

Lol King, if they are that yellow sponge toffee covered in chocolate, they're available closer to home.

That "yellow sponge toffee" is called 'Hokey Pokey' down here.

Hokey Pokey ice cream is also very popular. I'm sure @kingfish254 would've partaken of some of that while he was here too.

Glen.

1629722625838.png

Latest posts

Back