Jessie James ( JJ )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up planning to use the forks on an OCC Stingray in hopes of correcting the horrible steering geometry they have. However this actually rides pretty good so I stuck it in the back of the shed to work on it someday. I will simply call it Jessie James or JJ for short.
6F62341D-057D-4620-8141-C67E53F8466D.jpeg

This is how I got it except it did still have its rear fender on.
B232CB83-425F-47A9-ACFE-78BDDF425D40.jpeg

It already had a lot of parts swapped out.
B232CB83-425F-47A9-ACFE-78BDDF425D40.jpeg
Pedals don’t match.
B67FA166-199C-44C6-90B7-6C4C6B6AEB0B.jpeg
F3FCFB9D-3C78-49F8-B94B-BC6930286AAF.jpeg

Front rim and seat off an OCC Stingray.
FE50C481-2923-45BF-A9EE-02DEF9B63709.jpeg
77C54F76-6D22-46CB-B2DD-289304DC19F6.jpeg
EA0BFBCF-D8B9-4C3A-859C-657CD4CAFAC7.jpeg
and generally beat and banged up. Kick stand is MIA so this bike got dropped after a ride a lot!

Attachments

• 25322249-67B2-4095-A05E-F2A30DEE0C45.jpeg
    25322249-67B2-4095-A05E-F2A30DEE0C45.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 59
I’ve been looking at parts I want to swap out on this Weat Coast Chopper and have the basic plan worked out in my head. For now I will just tease you with, I have “big” plans for it! Hopefully I can get some pictures posted soon!

This should be fun. In all of my scores, I have never had the chance to pick up one of these JJ choppers. I know they are great parts bikes.

There doesn't seem to be as many of these as there are the OCC Stingrays, at least around here anyways. I've owned several OCC's but this is the only one of these I've had.
Most of the build is in my head and the parts have been ordered, but I'm thinking I may just leave the paint alone for now because I'm not sure which paint scheme I want on it. Anyhow, I should get a little done on it Friday ( weather permitting! ) and post the progress.

My dude! I feel like just the Orange stuff gets the love. :)

Got one on the chopping block as well (red as well). Cleaned it up after picking it up off craigslist (tank and chain guard still with it, to my amazement), and immediately upgraded the rear wheel to a Sturmey Archer 3 speed. Also had to replace the main cog (warped) and single-piece crank (rusted). Otherwise was good to go.

Rode it about twice before deciding this is too tiny and now 've got it broken down to components and a bare frame, waiting to stretch it

Will follow your project with interest.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have all the parts ready today or tomorrow for it and plan to have it all back together Friday. Then (hopefully) have the paint figured out in time to strip it all back down an paint it before the deadline. I’d love to see what you do with yours as well! 👍

I should have all the parts ready today or tomorrow for it and plan to have it all back together Friday. Then (hopefully) have the paint figured out in time to strip it all back down an paint it before the deadline. I’d love to see what you do with yours as well! 👍

That project is on mostly on the back burner for now. Having a painter turn the decals on the guard and tank into actual detailing. Biggest worry is if the stock fork (love that triple crown design) will still work on the stretched frame. Don't want to give up the stock front tire as it's one of the branded components.

My primary attention has been gotten by some of my Weird Bike-related projects (gallery post is coming, hopefully today).

Front tire came in today! I should have probably waited until tomorrow when I expect to get the new tires and rims mounted on JJ, but I’m so happy with the Duro 26 X 2.125 white wall brick that I just have to share it tonight! The 24” Thick Brick and rear rim I already had. At first I was planning on running a 24” x 2.125 up front but it just looked too small compared to the rear tire, then I mocked up a 26 incher but the regular cruiser
21FE94E9-BCAB-4A36-891F-6A309C9DCE4D.jpeg
D6E72EA1-52DF-42B0-BDB3-3B3330098D85.jpeg
tread pattern was off….when I found these brick patterned tires in the right size I jumped on them!

That's a pair to draw to! A fatty 24 and cruiser 26 pair up really nicely. And that brick tread is really well-defined and deep. Looks great! :113:

A 3” wide 24” tire won’t fit on the rear of these frames without the use of an adapter plate, so I asked a buddy of mine to help me out and this is what we came up with. View attachment 164879 Problem solved!View attachment 164880

Oh, OH! These would be amazing for IGH installations on bikes without horizontal dropouts, without having to deal with a tensioner. Veer split-belt upgrades as well. :D

View attachment 164881 Adding 24 inch rear and 26 inch front tires really makes it look like an adult sized bike! I can’t wait to finish the seat post and ride this thing!

Very nice. I'm sticking with the stock wheels for now because the tires that go with them are branded, but when they've run their course I'll look at some upgrade options. Stretching the frame is going to be an adventure, but probably still less expensive than getting a Micargi stretch would be.

Also, Criminal For Life aesthetic. ;)

Latest posts

Back