26 inch Batavus BUB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I mentioned it in another thread before, but I got a "Batavus BUB" dutch cruiser bike from a collegue. I payed 30 bucks for it while the bike is kinda new.
The last eight or so years it was in a shed collecting dust. I has seen 10 kilometres the last years. So kinda new!

Specs and first impressions:
  • Aluminum frame, very light bike! Around 9 or 10kg or so. Looptail and loopy headtube.
  • 26 inch wheels with 2.15 inch tires.
  • Shimano CB-E110 coaster brake hub (happy with that one :thumbsup: ).
  • 2mm stainless steel spokes (14g?).
  • Sturdy aluminum front fork with drum brake tab.
  • The frame is relatively large, about 61cm. Pretty much my size.
  • The frame stickers say: "Utility" :wondering:
  • Sporty seat tube: around 73 degrees, so not your average city bike.
I do not mind heavy bikes, I am all about fun, but this feels very nimble!

Only thing I have done is remove the moldy grips, clean it a bit and put a longer stem on it. With the "cruiser" bars it fits me a bit better.

zdJVisj.jpeg

e8BpXX2.jpeg

1ljj7OV.jpeg

TfuvMqX.jpeg

qiUS6cJ.jpeg

IDEAS:
I do not know what I will do with this bike yet, I am hoping for some nice ideas. But a few suggestions:
  1. Clean it, re-grease the hubs and sell it. Then you have a great bike!
  2. Build a fast sporty hybrid bike. Purpose: To have some fun with race cyclists. This means: Remove lighting and fenders. And drop bars? Maybe a paint job.
  3. Build a "coaster brake" lightweight klunker bike that performs:
    1. 26x2.125 or 26x2.25 knobby tires. Skinwall?
    2. Paint the frame (I do not like the white that much).
    3. Klunker bars or the current bars (pictures). With a proper stem.
I have a rattle can with this metallic purple colour left, I really like this colour:
zl8Kyu6.jpeg

What are your thought/ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I like it as it is, sweet frame, I have never seen a looptail head tube or should it be called "loophead" is that common in the Netherlands? Maybe add a Brooks B67 or B72 saddle. If you were state side l'd be trying to convince you to pass it on to me.

Last edited:
Since it is so light I would probably keep it as a daily. What I would do with it - I won't bother repainting. If the seat post and the stem are steel I'd swap them for alu, but not a must. Some used Brooks, B66/67 or even lighter. And I would probably replace the crankset with something pretty, vintage and alu. And Aaron Urban pedals. Not sure about the fenders and chainguard, probably remove them for the summer and install them for the fall. Swap the front wheel for one with a drum brake, install narrow bars. Maybe Continental tires.

We have 2 of the same, bought in 2009. One men like yours, and a red stepthrough for my wife. We use them 5 months per year, when we travel to USA in our motorhome.
This summer, I converted my wife's bike to electric, with a front 350 hub and 13a battery from ebikebc.
Very very satisfied. Mechanically, changed pedal sprocket and chain, all bearings, installed leather handlebar grips. The Nexus 3 speed hub with coaster brake only needed a good soaking in transmission oil. Oiled the Brooks saddle, and, for esthetics, did a total repaint of the frame and fenders.
A lot of work, but the bike is a head turner. My wife wanted electric, but wanted to keep the coaster brake. A kit was the only option.
Turned out perfect, will convert mine this fall.

Thanks for the reactions guys!

@Michel Cote how does it ride with electric assist?

I have to be honest, I sold this bike to a guy I know.
Personally not my jam, but he put a four stroke engine on it:

ROb68DY.jpeg

soqwVis.jpeg

Hi all!

I mentioned it in another thread before, but I got a "Batavus BUB" dutch cruiser bike from a collegue. I payed 30 bucks for it while the bike is kinda new.
The last eight or so years it was in a shed collecting dust. I has seen 10 kilometres the last years. So kinda new!

Specs and first impressions:
  • Aluminum frame, very light bike! Around 9 or 10kg or so. Looptail and loopy headtube.
  • 26 inch wheels with 2.15 inch tires.
  • Shimano CB-E110 coaster brake hub (happy with that one :thumbsup: ).
  • 2mm stainless steel spokes (14g?).
  • Sturdy aluminum front fork with drum brake tab.
  • The frame is relatively large, about 61cm. Pretty much my size.
  • The frame stickers say: "Utility" :wondering:
  • Sporty seat tube: around 73 degrees, so not your average city bike.
I do not mind heavy bikes, I am all about fun, but this feels very nimble!

Only thing I have done is remove the moldy grips, clean it a bit and put a longer stem on it. With the "cruiser" bars it fits me a bit better.

zdJVisj.jpeg

e8BpXX2.jpeg

1ljj7OV.jpeg

TfuvMqX.jpeg

qiUS6cJ.jpeg

IDEAS:
I do not know what I will do with this bike yet, I am hoping for some nice ideas. But a few suggestions:
  1. Clean it, re-grease the hubs and sell it. Then you have a great bike!
  2. Build a fast sporty hybrid bike. Purpose: To have some fun with race cyclists. This means: Remove lighting and fenders. And drop bars? Maybe a paint job.
  3. Build a "coaster brake" lightweight klunker bike that performs:
    1. 26x2.125 or 26x2.25 knobby tires. Skinwall?
    2. Paint the frame (I do not like the white that much).
    3. Klunker bars or the current bars (pictures). With a proper stem.
I have a rattle can with this metallic purple colour left, I really like this colour:
zl8Kyu6.jpeg

What are your thought/ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Hi there,
Nice bike. Just put on a "sporty" handlebar and get rid of the lighting and fenders. Keep it white and ride it.
My son found a Bub (frame/fork and wheels) near a pile of garbage and took it home. His idea was to use the wheels for his winterbike. Lucky for me, the wheels didn't fit and I could use it. I had a "few" parts waiting for a project and only bought a crankset and front-carrier. The Bub is my ride to the gym.
Grtz, René
20211104_153858.jpg

Latest posts

Back